The bearing of internet speed on network intelligence

RumorConsumer
Head in the Cloud

The bearing of internet speed on network intelligence

I have a network that is way out in the sticks (I write about it a lot haha....eesh).

So its on satellite and the user always maxes our their data quote and so it throttles. Sometimes badly. To the tune of less than a megabit. And the latency is garbage - between 1000-2000ms at pretty much all times. Its satellite. Since the WAN can be slow or sometimes seem kinda unresponsive (sometimes its great) could this be why sometimes the network doesn't seem to respond to changes like one station moving closer, or three stations connected via a wired hop not properly determining which one has the best connection to the gateway? It seems odd that sometimes I have so much trouble with that kind of thing. Thoughts? 

Networking geek since high school where I got half of a CCNA. Played Marathon II and Infinity over localtalk.
Made many a network over the years, now de facto admin of a retreat center with some of this fine Meraki hardware.
Fortune 100 Tech veteran/refugee.
6 Replies 6
BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@RumorConsumer  WAN speed / massive latency that is enough to make a grown man cry shouldn't have any impact on a regular local LAN. Now given Meraki is cloud managed you could run into problems let say if you have sentry or geofencing policies enabled although I am not 100% sure on that as I don't know if the calculations that work out if you have breached a policy or not are done in the cloud or by the local hardware. 

Just to be safe I would suggest having a quick chat with support, they should be able to give you a clear answer. 

Yeah I’ll ask. Maybe it isn’t getting regular feedback from the Meraki cloud to tell it what to do. It just seems to make some profoundly bad decisions.

Networking geek since high school where I got half of a CCNA. Played Marathon II and Infinity over localtalk.
Made many a network over the years, now de facto admin of a retreat center with some of this fine Meraki hardware.
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You should be able to get latency down around 700ms.  You must be on a satellite in a high orbit.  See if you can find a provider using a satellite in a low orbit (the closer to 550km the better).

Otherwise you'll need to wait for Starlink.

https://www.starlink.com/ 

I wonder if it wasn’t changing over because it had clients on the network. Overnight it seems to have fixed itself.

@RumorConsumer  Thanks for the update, I guess you can put that in the "I don't know what happened there but i'll take it pile"

It’s back to utter stupidity after a power cycle.
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels