Testing remote access networks

Solved
Tigers
Getting noticed

Testing remote access networks

Gudday all

As part of my role I need to create remote access equipment.

This comprises a 4g router, an unmanaged switch and at least 1 MR52 AP. All the remote sites have the same SSID.

I do the setup and configuration at our primary site. But testing the new AP is very difficult. My primary site has an SSID of the given name. My laptop usually remembers what AP it used previously.

Can I get/force my laptop to choose the new AP rather than the 3 already on site? I can put my laptop right beside the new MR52. The client list however does not show my laptop's MAC address.

I am loathe to send the units out without testing proper access and connectivity as they are going to sites all around Australia. Having it not work is not a good look.

I know I could change the SSID to something else and change it back but is that a 'true'' test of the connectivity (previous IT managers have grappled with this problem, seemingly without success)?

Regards

Tim Knell

1 Accepted Solution
BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@Tigers  The only reall way of forcing a computer to connection to a specific access point is to make sure that is the only active access point.  Yes sitting you laptop right next to it and turning the wifi off and back on might do the trick but its not guaranteed. 

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6
BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@Tigers  The only reall way of forcing a computer to connection to a specific access point is to make sure that is the only active access point.  Yes sitting you laptop right next to it and turning the wifi off and back on might do the trick but its not guaranteed. 

Thanks Blake.

Pity about that. 😐

the only other way i can think of is to go to the further corner of our large yard with a 4G modem and my laptop.

Plug in and see if my MAC is picked up.

MarcP
Kind of a big deal

Further to what @BlakeRichardson said, you may use a tool like inSSID to check if you are really connected to the correct MR, assuming you have other workers next to you which may automatically connected to the same MR.

Tigers
Getting noticed

That is worth a try. Thank you.

@Tigers  Could you set the SSID on the device with a temporary name and then change it when its all tested?

Yes. I will probably need to do something like that. 😐

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels