Taking over an existing Meraki

Avagio
New here

Taking over an existing Meraki

HI I hope someone can give us some advice

We have several Meraki MR32 units that where supplied to us by out previous IT supplier. For various reasons we have had to part way with them. The issue we have is they have the Meraki registered against their own portal and they never set us up with a customers portal. 

We obviously don't have access to the portal that controls the units. 

Is there any way we can take ownership of them in to a new portal and transfer them including the licenses we have?

8 REPLIES 8
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

i guess it depends on your contracts with the  IT supplier. 

You should be able to take ownership by contacting support but the hardware/licenses need to be ordered/registered on your name / administrator email address.

Is there no way the previous IT supplier can help?

Thanks for the response.

Our IT supplier told us that their registered in their own portal with the rest of their clients so they will not give us access to that and they tell us there is no way they can transfer them. We don't know a lot about Cisco so I'm trying to find out if that true

I've tried calling Cisco support but they will not talk to us with out an 8 digit support number which I cannot find on the portal I've setup. I'm guessing I need to buy a support licence or something like that to get the code?

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

not sure if your account has a 8 digit code but if so,  you can check this in the right corner "help > get help" on the dashboard.

Your IT supplier should contact meraki support they can transfer the hardware and license to your organization.

maybe you have to add the it supplier account first to your new organization. but meraki will assist with that.

MRCUR
Kind of a big deal

The devices need to be removed from whatever network they are in within Dashboard and then unclaimed from the Organization -> Inventory page. 

Once that is done, you can claim them in your new org. I believe if your previous IT help contacts Meraki support, the licenses can be transferred but I'm not 100% on this. Maybe @MerakiDave knows for sure. 

MRCUR | CMNO #12

Thank you both for you help.

I managed in the end to get through to Cisco support apparently when asked for the 8 digit support code you can enter 0000 0000  and get through.

With talking to support it appears Cisco can and will cease the devices and move for us even if the current supplier refuses as long as we have a proof of ownership which we do. It seems Cisco will try and contact the supplier first and get it resolved if it fails Cisco support have said they can move them for us which is great. I'm guessing it may take some time but its good to know we can have owner ship of our own kit 

Thanks again 

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

make sure how to config your AP's/network  before tranferring because the configuration wil be empty in your organization.

MerakiDave
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

@MRCUR is correct that you will (perhaps unfortunately) still need to communicate with the supplier you parted ways with, and they will need to unclaim the devices from their Dashboard Organization's inventory, so that you could then claim them.  There is no way for you to simply take ownership of those APs, even though they may be yours. Unfortunately this is one of the reasons why there should always be at least one user or group of users in the actual customer/business who has Org admin rights.  Meraki Support cannot just go pull "your" devices out of "someone else's" Organization and assign them to another, even though these are actually your APs. 

Your (former) supplier would simply remove your devices from the current Dashboard network, go to their inventory page and unclaim them, and once unclaimed, then you can claim them into your own Dashboard organization.  Ask them for the list of serial numbers as well, really simple for them to grab them off the inventory page before they unclaim.  Then you claim them into your Org and open a Support case to see if/what can be done with the licensing.  While it's possible you could retain some licensing via an Org split, it depends on when & how the licenses were applied, so Support would need to review that and advise on what can be done. 

I'd open a Support case first before proceeding, and agree on the procedure/steps, so they can review the current Org and its licensing state, but there too, you might have to get the partner/provider to open the case from their Dashboard.  If you don't even have a Meraki Dashboard login, call Meraki Support directly on how to best proceed.  https://meraki.cisco.com/support/

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I know this isn't much help to you @Avagio but this is exactly why I think its bad practise for support companies to have their clients equipment listed within their own Meraki login, having a organisation setup for each client means the customer has access to their property and makes the support company work hard to keep the customer happy. 

Good luck and I hope you are able to get a speedy resolution to this.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels