Supported/Recommended WiFi to Ethernet adapter

jacarrio
New here

Supported/Recommended WiFi to Ethernet adapter

Hi to all, in a wireless environment built with MR42 and MR76 access points, a considerable amount of non-wireless enabled device must be connected to the network and I would like to know, if there is any known  recommended/supported/approved wifi-to-ethernet adapter?

I've seen posts from 2019 mentioning Raspberry Pi and IOGEAR devices were used at some point. Is this still valid or is there anything more updated?

Kind regards,

Jacarrio

5 REPLIES 5
BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

There must be dozens if not hundreds of ways to do that.  If I needed many cheap ones and only 2G I might get a bunch of Mikrotik mAP lites.  They are tiny, have a magnet to conveniently place them and are $25 USD/each: https://mikrotik.com/product/RBmAPL-2nD

The internet is full of tutorials and forums to help configure them.

If you describe the application in a bit more detail you might get some more specific recommendations.  What type of devices, how many, how reliable do they need to be, what frequencies preferred or needed, etc.?

Best.

- Ex community all-star (⌐⊙_⊙)

Thank you BrandonS. I would like to stay away from 2.4Ghz frequency band, so 5Ghz frequency is the preferred one. In terms of quantities, is in the 20k+ range, and they should be reliable enough to handle voice and video traffic for academic purposes in US territory. 

EJN
A model citizen

Does the device/client have USB ports? Could you use a USB WiFi adapter?

Do you have the option to run these wired clients to a switch?

Or are you looking for something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/IOGEAR-Ethernet-2-WiFi-Universal-Wireless-GWU637/dp/B018YPWORE

Esteban J Nunez
School and Church
K-12 Education

Thank you Esteban, no USB, connectivity is Ethernet RJ45 connector. There are many challenges to lay out ethernet cabling because of the building structure. My main concern is compatibility of these type of adapters with the Meraki MR42 and MR76 access points.

EJN
A model citizen

If you are US based, buy one on AZ and test. Many of their items have free return policies. The cost is low enough that buying one to test should be viable. Are the clients PCs or some other unique devices?

Esteban J Nunez
School and Church
K-12 Education
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels