Summary report per AP (over 1,000 APs)

Roques
Here to help

Summary report per AP (over 1,000 APs)

Hi, 

We have over 1,000 APs in several networks, over two organizations. We do monthly reports per organization but I would like to see per AP traffic, it should also include the tags, which would allow me to group several APs. Basically, I need user and traffic information.

Is it possible? Through an API? Would love your feedback on this topic.

6 REPLIES 6
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

What about running the summary report multiple times with different tags selected?

Hi, thanks for the suggestion but that would be troublesome as well; it would require 40+ repetitions with different tabs.

jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

@Roques wrote:

You can't run the Summary Reports via the API, but every bit of info that's in the Summary Reports isavailable via the API. So you could build yourself a script that pulls all this info and presents it on a per AP basis.

Nash
Kind of a big deal

@jdsilva wrote:

@Roques wrote:

You can't run the Summary Reports via the API, but every bit of info that's in the Summary Reports isavailable via the API. So you could build yourself a script that pulls all this info and presents it on a per AP basis.

I've built scripts like this before. While it's a little tedious and formatting can be fussy, once you've got it done... it's done and it's very convenient. Usually something you can easily modify as necessary too.

My formatting might have been less fussy if I had been more familiar with openpyxl when I started, btw. 🙂

Oh, glad to know someone's done it before. 

So to build it, I'm basically on my own? I have No programming expertise. 

Nash
Kind of a big deal

Hate to say it, but yes. You'd make it yourself.

Good news: Resources abound and now is as good a time as any to start learning. You will need to be able to do some Python scripting if you intend to stay in networking, unless you want to waste hours on boring slog tasks.

DevNet has learning material.

Kirk Byers has resources and runs regular courses on Python for net eng. He's also incredibly helpful and kind. ❤️

Games like CheckiO help introduce you to basic Python libraries in more abstract ways. Will confess: I can write a functional script using e.g. Meraki's Dashboard API or even some netmiko hijinx with Cisco equipment, but sometimes I find abstract puzzles hard.

And Al Sweigart's classic, Automate the Boring Stuff with Python. I've heard great things about Al's streams of him coding too.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels