Standalone MR52

SOLVED
Tigers
Getting noticed

Standalone MR52

Gudday all

My work is fortunate to have a spare MR52.

We have a lot of techs in remote sites using iPads, lap tops etc. A perennial problem is the changing of passwords enforced by our parent company (every 60 days). Despite e-mail warning the amount of techs that miss the deadlines and are are locked out is large.

So  how to get them back on line with the new password? They need to logged onto our network (or seems like it) to redo their passwords. Some techs are 5-6 hours away from the nearest depot.

I have tested  a portable setup with a 4G router + WAP that will do the trick and some team leaders will carry them in their trucks and do the password resetting at  a location more convenient to the techs.

I need 2 such trucks and have a TP-Link (I know, I know) WAP but need another WAP.

The spare MR52 may do.

Q: Can an MR52 work as a standalone WAP i.e. does not need to be connected to our dashboard to work? Obviously its time on-air will vary from week to week.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

For the configuration, the AP needs to be connected to the dashboard and also has a license.

I think the perfect device for this setup would be a Z3C. It will provide WLAN to the user, connects to the internet with LTE and can directly connect to the HQ via AutoVPN (if there is an MX at the HQ).

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

For the configuration, the AP needs to be connected to the dashboard and also has a license.

I think the perfect device for this setup would be a Z3C. It will provide WLAN to the user, connects to the internet with LTE and can directly connect to the HQ via AutoVPN (if there is an MX at the HQ).

Tigers
Getting noticed

Thank you

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels