As part of another thread I took a look at the wireless health page for one of our sites and saw the below. The Auth errors are the AP saying the WPA2 password is wrong but these are mainly appliances such as Cisco 8821s and raspberry Pis where the code is not hand entered... This wasn't happening in the past, is anyone else seeing this?
The network is upgrading from 26.6 to 26.6.1 tomorrow morning so let's see if that fixes them!
Id already taken a look and it was lots of different devices across four SSIDs and where I found one device (an 8821), it was across many different APs but only once for each. I think it is mainly created by roaming, but the raspberry Pis are fixed devices, so they are even more confusing.
I don't think it is actually affecting user experience, more of a technical glitch that maybe should be categorised differently...
A good mix of APs; 32, 33, 34, 42, 52, 72 and it was across most though I didn't see it on the 72.
A snapshot now looks better so I'll keep an eye on it...
Back to plenty of auth errors on devices with pre-programmed PSKs, I think it is possibly a roaming issue as it only fails once and then works. We are looking to move the frequently roaming devices (Cisco 8821s etc.) away from PSK for faster roaming and maybe this is just part of the reason for psk roaming being slower?
Exactly, 802.11r but not with WPA2-PSK due to the known vulnerabilities. We were going to try with WPA-Enterprise but hoping the new iPSK is okay to use with 802.11r.
Have the same on few network (MR54s, MR45s) not only on WPA2 but also on 802.1x SSIDs.
Mostly with mobile devices - not roaming but coming from sleep. I get "wrong password" for WPA2 SSIDs and "Radius authentication failed" for 802.1x SSIDs (using Meraki authentication). In most cases second or third authentication attempt succeeds (so this is for sure not related to some wrong credentials on devices)
All networks on 26.7
We have a customer hitting this issue. Downgrading to 25.14 did not seem to fix this. I've seen this problem in several threads now so I hope this will be resolved soon.
Edit : customer uses MR33s