Splash Page and Templates

SOLVED
TechB0SS
Here to help

Splash Page and Templates

I am starting a project to implement splash pages for my SSIDs using Splash Access. I have (4) networks in my environment that contain wireless, security (MX), and switches. It was suggested that I use templates to configure my SSIDs so that it can be replicated across all (4) networks. I am a novice when it comes to using templates. I understand they can make management of multiple networks more convenient. Since this is the first time I am using templates, my question is, If I create a template to setup the splash page for the wireless, will the template cause any changes on the switches and security appliances? Each security and switch network configuration is unique, and I don't want to impact the configurations if I utilize a template. I only need the template for the wireless. Is templates the best way to go with this or should I manually configure the SSIDs for each network?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Agreed, would be a shame to lose the conf in that way. Do you have a spare MR and MS. You could create a new network for these, add some dummy config and then test the template for that specific network.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Jotish
Here to help

Hello @TechB0SS ,

To be honest, I am fairly new to templates myself. Nevertheless, while checking the online literature (https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Templates_and_Config_Sync/Managing_Multiple_...), the "Local Overrides" section of the document seems to be hinting at what you are trying to achieve.

Cheers.

Thanks, I've reviewed this documentation, the thing that worries me is the following:

Note: When binding an existing network to a template, its current configuration will be lost and it will begin using the template configuration.

I am trying to avoid losing the configuration of my existing networks. Each existing network configuration is unique. Yes, I understand that I can apply local overrrides, but it seems the configuration will lost as soon as bind the existing network to the template. In one of my networks I have 100+ switches and 900+ wireless access points, and a MX security appliance. Can't afford to lose these configurations...

Agreed, would be a shame to lose the conf in that way. Do you have a spare MR and MS. You could create a new network for these, add some dummy config and then test the template for that specific network.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Templates cover MX, MS and MR.  So you wouldn't want to use a template unless you wanted the settings for all of these devices to be the same.

Seems like templates may not be my best option here...

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels