Splash Page Assistance - Click Through?

Son
Here to help

Splash Page Assistance - Click Through?

Our guest networks have been setup with a Pre-Shared Key for association to satisfy a recent penetration test. We previously had an Open association with the user required to create a Meraki account which automatically authorised them onto the network - the reason for this is because we have a requirement to capture the users details that is associating with our network and this was the simplest way of doing so. Details such as Name and email address or phone number.

We now have a bit of a tricky situation as our guest users must obtain the Pre-Shared Key and then they have to register by creating a Meraki account via the splash page and they need to remember those details each time they want access and might be a little too much for them to take the effort to start using the service. The splash page settings are set to every week now which should improve customer experience by being a once a week session association.

We would like to know if there is a way of dropping the Meraki Authentication process and instead deploying a splash page which simply asks the users to enter a name and email address (and T&Cs would still be present) and have that information recorded on the Dashboard or to some logging device so we have a record. Taking away the need for the guest to remember a password and simply input their details would simplify the process and we would like to know if it is possible or if anyone else had any other suggestions. I know that you can amend existing Meraki splash page templates and there is one for click through but we would like to capture their information and use that process instead of using the Meraki Auth process.

Hope that makes sense!

10 REPLIES 10
kYutobi
Kind of a big deal

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Encryption_and_Authentication/Sponsored_Guest

Try out this config. You can set it to 1 week. Hope this helps.

Enthusiast

With the amount of complexity your introducing for guests, its probably easier to just not have guest wireless anymore 😃
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn

@NolanHerring just have them use cell service am I right? 😂

Enthusiast

If I am being honest, when I'm somewhere like an airport or something and they offer 'free' guest wireless but want my information and make it a big hassle to gain access, i just say no thanks and use cellular.
TwitterLinkedIn

Completely agree, I do the same and I agree that this seems much but this is our corporate guest wireless access, we are not providing access to the public.

When we had open association we had random people connecting to our wireless network hence the PSK as well. Would just like to try and make it easier for them by removing the Meraki Account creation and a simple click through splash page which gets their name at least. According to our security team there is a legal requirement to capture an identifier of users on guest networks (might be different in the US) so even if they put a burner name in we are at least attempting this from the user.

Sounds like it is not possible though from the repsonses.

NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

I'm just being a negative nancy  =(

I'll add some other guys on here as they have more experience with splash pages than I do.

Avengers....ASSEMBLE !

TwitterLinkedIn

Personally, I would use Splash Access.  They have a wealth of options in this area.

https://www.splashaccess.com/ 

The next option I would consider is using the integrated Facebook WiFi:

https://documentation.meraki.com/zGeneral_Administration/Cross-Platform_Content/Facebook_Login 

GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Or if you really want their email you could setup an excap.
Then you need a website with php that just lets the users fill in their email and then sends the OK to the access point.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

>Or if you really want their email you could setup an excap.

I looked at doing that with my first customer that asked, then found SplashAccess could provide the service for less than I could get it built.

Brons2
Building a reputation

If it's a wireless network for corporate guests, does that mean those guests work for your company?  If so use 802.1x via RADIUS from your authentication provider.

If "corporate guest" means people that don't work for you, then never mind 😉😁

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels