Specific wireless channel

SOLVED
leadtheway
Building a reputation

Specific wireless channel

If we needed an SSID to advertise a specific channel, say B or A or G. Could that be done. Not all or a couple, but a specific one that is a hardware requirement

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

If the hardware only supports 802.11b, then you just need to ensure that the SSID has 802.11b rates enabled, meaning move the slider down to 1Mbps. There is no reason to 'cut-off' the higher data rates.
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

Yes, you can go to Wireless>Radio Settings

From there you can see your access points, and you can statically configure the channel width, channel power, and channel for the 2.4GHz and 5GHz radios.
TwitterLinkedIn
leadtheway
Building a reputation

just want a specific SSID to only advertise B channel. The rest can operate dual 

So I'm a little confused on the terminology your using.

When you say 'channel B' are you just using the letter B as a placeholder or do you mean 802.11b?

If you want an SSID to only use say channel 36 across all access points for SSID-1 and channel 48 for SSID-2, that is not possible. The channel that each AP that each radio operates on is the frequency that will be used by all SSIDs that are being broadcasted on that radio/AP.

You can have support enable an option for an SSID to be 2.4GHz only. There is already an option for 5GHz only.

The SSID can have 802.11b 'disabled' by increasing the data rate slider to 12Mbps minimum, but if you want the SSID to 'only' operate at 802.11b data rates, then that is not something that you can do (at least not with the options on the dashboard that are currently being provided - as in there might be some sort of hidden feature). Hidden feature to make an SSID run 802.11b only would require you to contact Meraki support, although I'm not sure why you would want to.

TwitterLinkedIn
leadtheway
Building a reputation

because we have hardware that will only operate on that 

If the hardware only supports 802.11b, then you just need to ensure that the SSID has 802.11b rates enabled, meaning move the slider down to 1Mbps. There is no reason to 'cut-off' the higher data rates.
TwitterLinkedIn

You can have support enable the 2.4GHz only mode and make that SSID 2.4GHz only, and that would 'remove' that SSID from being shown on 5GHz
TwitterLinkedIn
leadtheway
Building a reputation

i'm going to test lowering the slider

What is the device in question that you are using if I may ask?

Start with only allowing 11Mbps first, see if it connects.

If not then go down to 5.5, see if it connects.

If not then go to 2 and see if it connects.

If you can get it to connect a higher data rates (5 or 11 etc) the better. Otherwise there is a good amount of overhead SSID wise when you enable DSSS-only rates (1 or 2Mbps)
TwitterLinkedIn

You wont be able to configure 802.11b only support.

leadtheway
Building a reputation

yes i was talking about wireless 802.11b 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels