Skype call on wireless connection goes bad specially while doing screen sharing

Naveen_Suneja
Just browsing

Skype call on wireless connection goes bad specially while doing screen sharing

Just to give the background first. Initially we faced lot of issues during the skype call ( on both audio as well as during desktop sharing) over the wireless. However, if connected to LAN, skype calls work seamlessly. That's made us sure that its not an issue with Skype or with ISP.

Then started working to fix the wireless. Took support from Meraki customer support and made the necessary changes to required SSID. Gradually, Skype call performance started improving. Now we have reached a point where Audio calls works perfectly fine on wireless. But when we do desktop sharing while on call, network signal on the turns to RED. In other words, while doing Screen share we are still facing the issues...

any suggestions...how we should mitigate this issue....

10 Replies 10
MilesMeraki
Head in the Cloud

I'm sorry to be blunt however it very much sounds like the Wireless environment is at fault here, especially if screen sharing works seamless via a wired connection. If Meraki support has advised you to make some changes to your RF/Channel settings and the problem still is arising, my only recommendation would to be to perform a active Wireless Site Survey for your environment. This document outlines the steps in great detail - https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/5500-series-wireless-controllers/116057-site-sur....

Eliot F | Simplifying IT with Cloud Solutions
Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below)

Hi,

thanks for sharing the link. Seems helpful. Let me see by when we can get this done.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

What sort of throughput do you get from a WiFi machine using a test like speedtest.net?

What sort of throughput do you get from a Wired machine using a test like speedtest.net?

Through put from wired machine via Speedtest.net

http://www.speedtest.net/result/7030443899

through put from wireless via Speed test.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/7030650847

Lucas_Kramer
Here to help

In addition to do a proper site survey and share some test results, please provide QoS on your switch and/or (packet prio) Traffic Shaping rules on the firewall. 

Anima Sana In Corpore Sano
helpful comment? Get me some kudos 🙂

If it is important, as @Lucas_Kramer says, carry out a site survey. Ekahau Heat Mapper is free. 

I suggest you aim to see how much you can turn down TX volumes and still have adequate coverage (shouty radios create problems). Then, be careful about using the DFS channels as that introduces another variable into the problem. Also, check on channel width, easy to create overlaps even in the 5 GHz frequencies.

Robin St.Clair | Principal, Caithness Analytics | @uberseehandel

Hi,

Can you please guide me to the steps how to check all the settings which you have mentioned in your post.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Your wireless throughput is a fraction of your wired throughput, and it should not be.

Do you get similar results when you are right next to an AP?

Do you want me to share the screen shots for Traffic shaping rules of FW. We have configured on traffic shaping rules for wireless SSID as well from which we connect our laptops. Do, you want me to share those as well

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels