Similar pattern in different heatmaps

Cyber_Owl
Here to help

Similar pattern in different heatmaps

Hello, Meraki community!

In this moment I am working on a project that involves several shopping malls. The devices we are using are Meraki MR-33.

In this client they use the heatmap and clients counters for marketing purposes, so the accuracy of the heatmap and client counters is a must.

One thing that I noticed in this specific mall is that, even though there are different floors, the heatmap is quite similar to all of them, as you guys can see in the pictures below:

sub.PNGterceiro.PNGter.pngsegundo.pngquarto.png

I was wondering if anyone in the community has had the same issue with heatmaps.

We've done a site survey a couple of weeks ago to minimize the RF interference on the access points, but even after the site survey we still have the same problem.

7 REPLIES 7
NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

If your location services are a must, and the location of the access points is accurate, then you don't have a proper location design in place, which is most likely the issue.
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn

Have a look here:

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Monitoring_and_Reporting/Real-Time_Location_Services_(RTLS)

You need to have a proper location survey performed and designed for that type of stuff to work well.

Not all the access points need to be 'broadcasting' the SSID, but they need to be powered on. Think of 'monitor mode' with Cisco WLC access points etc.

1111.PNG

Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn

Hmm those are some weird overlays. It's one of two things, or it's showing the location data of all APs disregarding the selected floor, or it's showing the location data of one floor (either floor 2 or floor 3), again disregarding the actually selected floor.

How long has it been since you placed the APs on their respective floors?

Are the floors enclosed, or are they open-air - so the APs on one floor can see users on another?

Hi @PhilipDAth ,

The floors are enclosed, apart from the forth one that it is a car parking.

However, there are scalators bettween the floors wich makes a open space. We did a site survey to minimize the interference on these areas.

Regards,

Maybe something went wrong during the placement.

Maybe you can try with the "Assign to..." functionality first, to re-assign them to the correct floors:

image.png

If that doesn't do the trick, completely remove them from their locations and start from scratch:

image.png

If that doesn't help, I'd open a support ticket.

Hi @BrechtSchamp ,

It's been like this ever since. This project were deployed by a engineer before me. So I am working to solve this issue.

Regards,

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels