Shut down 2.4 and 5 using Meraki API

Rha
Comes here often

Shut down 2.4 and 5 using Meraki API

Hey there,

I'm currently working on a project which requires to shut down all Wifi RF upon certain circumstances. I would like to know if there is a way to do so using the Meraki API ? I've read a bit of documentation about the API but nothing seems to fit my needs. I successfully did it using the dashboard manually (Wireless -> Radio settings -> 2.4 and/or 5 -> Click Target Power -> Off)

If you want a bit of context, we have in France a law that states that Wifi must be shut down in preliminary schools if not in use for educational purposes. The law is still unclear, so we're exploring many options.

The use case is if a teacher needs an internet connection he/she can turn on 2.4 and 5 using a request over BLE. A web server process the request and call the needed API.

4 Replies 4
GreenMan
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

If you want to ensure no WiFi, you're probably best to switch off the AP at the switch port:

https://developer.cisco.com/meraki/api-v1/#!update-device-switch-port

poeEnabled : false

Rha
Comes here often

About PoE it's probably what we're going to do if we can't do otherwise, maybe the officials will enforce it anyway. It's a bit impractical though. 

Greenberet
Head in the Cloud

Hello,

I would use Wifi Tags here. Just assign the tag "enable_wifi" on all access points and also to all ssids.

With the API you could just remove the "enable_wifi" tag on single access points. They won't send any wifi signal anymore and you could still use BLE  or beaconing from the access point.

To enable it just add the tag again.

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I think the only option is to disable poe on the port. Even with radio power off the radio is still used for cmx and rogue detection.

But that will make bluetooth of the ap unusable to..

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels