Sector antennas for MR84

SOLVED
Ron-V
Comes here often

Sector antennas for MR84

I have never set one of these up before.  I need this to provide almost a strait line service between 350-400ft out from source to a starter shack on a Golf course.

The Sector antennas make the most sense for this setup.  Should both the 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz antennas be purchased and installed on the device or get 2 pair of the 5Ghz?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

For distances of 100 meters ( which should be around 300 ft ) the sector antenna is an ideal choice.
If you are using an MR74 or 76 you only have a 2x2 setup and you have the choice to use only 2.4 or only 5 GHz antennas and put a cap on the unused ports.  I believe in that case you can use different antennes per band if you of course configure them correctly in dashboard.  This setup only makes sense for mesh links.

In case of MR84/86 you have a 4x4 setup which mandates you install two times the same antenna and point them in the same direction.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
techiejames
Here to help

What's your line of sight situation and how high would the antennas be mounted? Also are you looking to serve clients off the radios while backhauling or is this just to provide a point to point backhaul?

It's not a completely flat line of sight, there are some brush and small trees scattered about .

The MR84 and antennas will be mounted about 10-15 ft outside on a building wall.

The intention is to provide network service out to that golf starter shack for iPad network access back to the servers...and to allow golfers to have wifi service as well.

GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

For distances of 100 meters ( which should be around 300 ft ) the sector antenna is an ideal choice.
If you are using an MR74 or 76 you only have a 2x2 setup and you have the choice to use only 2.4 or only 5 GHz antennas and put a cap on the unused ports.  I believe in that case you can use different antennes per band if you of course configure them correctly in dashboard.  This setup only makes sense for mesh links.

In case of MR84/86 you have a 4x4 setup which mandates you install two times the same antenna and point them in the same direction.

Ron-V
Comes here often

So then I should get 2 of the 5Ghz pair of antennas for this MR84 model.  That's some great advice.  Thank you.
Next stop is getting this properly configured with our existing Meraki network.  A new step for me.

GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Well if you're running an MR84 you can just use 2x MA-ANT27 which is dual band anyway so you still have access to both bands in 4x4 mode 😉  I don't think there is much if any price difference between the dual band and single band antenna model.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels