Scanning API does not show locations for clients

SOLVED
Cezar
Here to help

Scanning API does not show locations for clients

Hi, I am trying to get the locations of my clients, but Meraki shows only the location of the Acess Points.

I have tried through the Scanning API and through the dashboard, through the scanning API the information come as follows:

'locations': [],

While through the dashboard, when I check the client information it shows only the AP in the heat map, no blue dots are present to represent the clients as specified in: https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Monitoring_and_Reporting/Location_Deployment_Guidelines

I am not sure if I have skipped any step to show these informations, any leads?

Thank you in advance,

Yours faithfully,

Cézar

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@Cezar the old map used to show some basic location information with 2 APs but it was very inaccurate so the current location analytics only works with 3 APs or more

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You've uploaded a floor plan, placed the floor plan on a map, and the APs on the floor plan?

Yes, on further inspection on the dashboard api some devices shows the blue dot, while others show only the AP, as in the image below

Cezar_1-1622665649668.png

However, I am trying to get the locations through the Scanning API and neither the wi-fi or bluetooth devices return their location, an example of the information I receive:

{'clientMac': 'client-mac',
'ipv4': None,
'ipv6': None,
'latestRecord': {'nearestApMac': 'ap-mac',
'nearestApRssi': -65,
'time': '2021-06-02T20:20:16Z'},
'locations': [],
'manufacturer': 'Hon Hai/Foxconn',
'os': None,
'ssid': None},

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Not every sample returned includes location data.  It can just mean the device has been seen, but currently, no AP can see it.

Even for connected clients? The only location data I receive from the scanning API are from the APs.

What should I do to retrieve the location from clients?

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@Cezar how many APs do you have, the location information needs a minimum of 3 APs and for a client it needs to see 3 APs at any one time.

Cezar
Here to help

I am currently with only two APs, I thought that at least an inaccurate location information would be provided, I guess that is not the case then?

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@Cezar the old map used to show some basic location information with 2 APs but it was very inaccurate so the current location analytics only works with 3 APs or more

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels