Scanning API POST interval

SENSEi-James
Comes here often

Scanning API POST interval

According to the docs for both V2 and V3 scanning APIs

'One JSON POST per access point, per minute per, type (WiFi/BLE)'

but with these disclaimers:

V2: 'Note: Meraki cannot provide a guaranteed interval, as it can depend on a number of factors, including quantity of access points in the network, and the response time (latency) of the customer receiver. Typical POST intervals range from 1-2 minute intervals, but are not guaranteed.'

V3: 'Note: Meraki cannot provide a guaranteed interval, as it can depend on a number of factors, including quantity of access points in the network, and the response time (latency) of the customer receiver. Typical POST intervals range from 2-3 minute intervals, but are not guaranteed.'

This morning on V2, I was seeing intervals up to 11 minutes.  At the moment the intervals are back down to around 4 minutes.  V3 is still not sending anything at all at the moment.

Is there a maximum interval that I can safely rely upon?

I see there's a variety of reasons for these increased intervals.  Is it because those reasons are causing increased load on the APs, or increased load on the Meraki cloud services, or something else?

Thanks 🙂

James

2 REPLIES 2
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

A device in sleep mode might only beacon every 10 minutes.  I'm going to guess the V2 API is going to report in every 10 minutes as well, since it will have data.

The V3 API needs multiple APs to see the beacon, so it is possible it will take take a lot longer.

SENSEi-James
Comes here often

Thanks @PhilipDAth 

It's the interval between posts from the scanning APIs that I'm trying to find if there's a maximum length of, irrespective of how any particular device behaves.

It's back up to about 7 to 11 minutes this morning.  Overnight I noticed it was occasionally down to just over a minute.

Can anyone from Cisco comment if there's a maximum possible duration for the post interval?  Will something timeout if the interval gets too long?

This is to help me make some design decisions for an analytics service.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels