SSID with no splash page present splash page for iPhone XR

SOLVED
bcnshan
Conversationalist

SSID with no splash page present splash page for iPhone XR

Ran into a weird scenario..

1. Have SSID that is security but no splash page required, if you auth correctly you can get on.
  2. iPhone XR added to network, blocked due to issue
  3. A few days later returned to normal status
  4. Now, the iPhone connects to SSID, get's IP via DHCP and then gets splash page
    1. Page says:  "You are now connected to the Internet.  It is safe to close this window"
    2. only option is "Cancel" and if you do that drops the connection to SSID
    3. Do see local DCHP and IP given to host
    4. the page comes from n220.network-auth.com, which is Mearki

Trying to give you why this host is having this issue with other apple and non apple devices not having issue.

We have reset setting, removed the learned SSID.  Next will be to factory reset iPhone.

Thoughts?

Wondering if anyone has run into something like this before?

Thanks,

Byron Scott

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi there, Could you try putting in a white list the client iPhone? In network wide > clients > look for the client (instead normal, use white list). Leave the client 1 hour there and the change to normal again. I hope this works for you. 

View solution in original post

26 REPLIES 26
Seshu
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

You can also try rebooting the AP once to see if there is something cached incorrectly on the AP. 

Also, did you check if the dashboard policy is set to Normal for this client on the Network Wide -> Clients page?

bcnshan
Conversationalist

• Did reboot the AP's yesterday, that did not help.
  • Under "Network-wide", then "clients" if I add the host back in under "Add client"
    • Add same MAC and same host name
    • Phone connects fine.
    • Will see on long this will last as did this late yesterday and worked for a while but in morning was again asking for splash page
bcnshan
Conversationalist

Seem like every 12 to 24 hours the MAC for the iPhone XR wants to do a splash page.  If we just add the Mac with the same name it starts to work and works for a while.

Any thought on why?

Thanks,

Byron Scott

The Splash page show this:

"Splash pages are disabled.  You can change this setting on the access control page".  Rest of page is greyed out.

Oh okay. I didn't get that.

When you say "blocked due to issue", do you mean that one of the Meraki administrator set the group policy of that user to blocked for some reason and then after resolving it returned it back to normal?

Correct, blocked the iPhone by MAC as it was thought to have issue.  After review of the iPhone it was clean and put back to normal mode.

Now, seems like every 12 to 24 hours the AP's go back to presenting the splash page.  If we "add client" and just give the same mac and name.  The iphone will start working right away again.

Okay, can you confirm that when you click on that client in the dashboard, the group policy that shows up is "Normal".

2019-08-27 21_50_45-Greenshot.png

Yes that is correct.

BeesonA
Conversationalist

I have been having this same issue. I'm not sure why it is happening or how to stop it, but as a workaround I created a new SSID just for the problem iPhones and added a click-through splash page. So far the problem devices haven't had the issue again.

iRecover
Conversationalist

Having the same exact problem. Any further information?

bcnshan
Conversationalist

Wow, glad to see other folks are seeing this issue.

One last thing I have not tried (don't think will help), was to do a complete erase of the device having the problem to see if this changes things....

Hi there, Could you try putting in a white list the client iPhone? In network wide > clients > look for the client (instead normal, use white list). Leave the client 1 hour there and the change to normal again. I hope this works for you. 

Darwin2000,

Set the MAC to "whitelisted" for 1+ hours and then moved it back to "normal".  So far we have been running for 2 days and having now issues.  Going to give it a few more days before calling it fixed.

Thanks,

Byron Scott

Cool, please let me know when you’ve done

This process of setting the client to whitelist and back to normal is being done daily and does not work. I also tried reverting back to a known firmware version that didn't have this issue but still nothing.

Is it still working?

I don’t have any kudos yet 🙂 

come on people!

You have 1 now.   🙂

👏🏽👍🏽

iRecover
Conversationalist

Got a reply from Meraki support:

"Thank You for reaching out to us. I have collected the required data from your network about this issue. 

This issue is currently a known issue and is recognized by our development team. Currently, they are working on it for the resolution. At this time unfortunately, I do not have an ETA and I will keep you updated as soon as I receive any updates from the developers."

Basically be patient...

What version of firmware are you using ?

KennethPsaila
Conversationalist

Having same issue with ipad mini. On another note Authorised a new ipad pro and splashscreen came up and closed immediately. The ipad pro seemed to work while the mini no.

I have the same problem with a Mac

Firstly, we applied the Block Group policy to this client. Few hours later, we move back to normal Policy. So now, the client have normal policy but it keeps showing the splash page.

We have had too many bugs with Meraki (AP and Switch) recently. 

IronSlow
Conversationalist

I'm having the same issue with all the kids devices (ipad and Windows desktop). I'm using the rest API to block or authorize their devices to access the internet based on a schedule managed by another system. I never had any problem until today. Now, all of those devices are no longer able to connect to Internet because the splash screen has no other button than cancel !

I will try the whilelisting trick and let you know

IronSlow
Conversationalist

The whilelisted trick did the job. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels