SSID in template

mat1458
Getting noticed

SSID in template

Hi 

I see that templates for APs require at least one SSID to be enabled. Is there any trick with which I could even deactivate this SSID in the template? The reason is that the template is part of a master organization that is cloned when a new customer is created. And since not every customer needs WLAN from the start it might be a cleaner way to not have any WLAN enabled initially.

I know, stupid question, but I might have overseen something.

Cheers

Mat

3 Replies 3
NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

I use TAGS to enable the SSID on a per-AP basis. No experience with templates, but it might be possible to configure it so that the SSID Schedule is configured to only broadcast when the TAG is applied.
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn

Thanks for the reply Nolan.

There is a possibility to prevent the access point from broadcasting the SSIDin SSID availability, so 'kind of' a way to hide it. Then furthermore a WPA2 password and a IP filter can add to make the SSID unusable. But the easiest way would be to switch it off completely. The dashboard in my opinion is built for single organizations, but when cloning of a Template-Org comes into play, the requirements of each clone org might vary.

Since the dashboard forces you to always have at least 1 'enabled', the only work around that I have come up with is to use the TAG method. The SSID isn't being broadcasted so it technically serves the same purpose =P So you would not have to do anything special after that since it won't be 'on' per say.

The whole template system has always been confusing to me so I honestly tend to stay clear of it. I don't have hundreds of sites, so I really don't mind making a new site from scratch or using the cloning feature from existing and then tweaking from there. Really doesn't take that much time.

If I did have hundreds or more sites, then I would bother mastering the template feature. Until then though, I will work by the sweat of my brow.
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels