Roaming between other manufactures Access Points

Michael-Shaw
Comes here often

Roaming between other manufactures Access Points

Hi everyone im pretty new to Meraki and was wondering if setting up an Meraki AP i can have it integrate with an existing SSID and 3 other AP's from Ubiquiti to allow devices to roam between the two company's AP's?

9 Replies 9
NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

Technically 'yes' but in practice its best avoided.

As long as both access points have the same configuration for the SSID (same BSSID, same PSK), and are on the same L2 network, it should work. However your probably going to not have smooth roaming if there are some features enabled like PMK caching or other fancy pants stuff going on in the backend.

Basically just try not to do it if you can =P
If you can't avoid it, then if you run into not-so-smooth roaming, just make sure the above has been done and offer up a goat to the Lord of Roaming.
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn

haha thanks for the info i dont have a Meraki AP yet but was thinking of getting one

You also need to disable security features on both platforms, or both will see the other as an attacker.

Sounds like you are opening a can of worms.... Good luck!

why does it sound like that?

roaming between access points works great with Ubiquiti, i was only asking if I get a Meraki from my employers partnership if it would work and play nicley with my unifi gear in terms of roaming devices like my phones and tablets.

its a home environment not a commercial one

Enterprise access points usually have a rogue AP feature.
In your case you'll have access points with exactly the same SSID and on the same wired network.  This will be seen as a true malicious rogue AP because someone could impersonate the SSID to do man in the middle attacks.

Because in your case you just want extra connectivity you'll have to make sure to 'whitelist' the ubiquiti AP's on the Meraki side and do the same for the Meraki AP on the ubiquiti side.

Also for good roaming you won't be able to use 802.11r because of two vendors so you WPA2-Personal as security option in this case.

By default Meraki won't 'block' but it will show up as a spoof under Air Marshal. Whitelisting is a good idea, and as long as you use PSK for authentication then you should be fine. I thought this was for production environment sorry lol
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn

no worries yes it will not be open at all, 

out of curiousity I have a guest wifi SSID set up with a captive portal for friends and family set on the Unifi controller as well

I know Meraki supports the same but is it possible to point to my unifi controllers internal IP for the captive portal so basically anyone in my home gets the same portal when logging into our home guest wifi?

GldenJoe thanks for that I will look into the Unifi side of things to see if there is anything that needs to be whitelisted since all are Unifi based i presume that is one of the reasons i cant see the option to whitelist, but if the meraki dashboard does I will certain add those the MD if and when i get one of these
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels