Reporting on clients connecting at 2.4GHz

Solved
skendric
Here to help

Reporting on clients connecting at 2.4GHz

Is there a way to run a report listing all clients which have connected at 2.4GHz over the last x days?

--sk

1 Accepted Solution
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

>Or is this limitation part of what you were referring to when you said 'Not a nice solution ...' 

Correct.  If you were keen you could use the API, and then have it search and save the event log.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Not a nice solution, but ...

Go to the Wireless event log, filter on "802.11 association", and any device connecting on channels 1 through 11 is using 2.4Ghz.  You can use the "Download As" option to download it and put it into Excel or something else to further analyze.

PhilipDAth_0-1630442628281.png

I seem to get 30 entries at a time ... is there some way to Download as CSV the last few thousand entries?  Or is this limitation part of what you were referring to when you said 'Not a nice solution ...'  🙂

--sk

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

>Or is this limitation part of what you were referring to when you said 'Not a nice solution ...' 

Correct.  If you were keen you could use the API, and then have it search and save the event log.

Or syslog

I have now scribbled together a reporting tool which counts which users connect on which bands (i.e.2.4 and 5)

In my tiny environment (~700+ users in 2021)

- 32 have only associated at 2.4GHz

- 272 have only associated at 5GHz

-~400+ have associated at both 2.4 and 5GHz

Poking deeper at the 32 who have only ever associated at 2.4GHz ... only a single device has not only *associated* but has also *authenticated* ... and that device belongs to someone who left the company early this year ... the rest seem to be just devices that 'passed through' our building, without a need (or at least an attempt) to authenticate

Sounds like it is time to disable 2.4GHz

Thank you for pointing me in this direction!

--sk

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels