Report for Claimed AP's Online and not attached to a Network

Steven1703
Here to help

Report for Claimed AP's Online and not attached to a Network

Does anyone know of a way to generate a report for Claimed AP's not attached to a Network, but Online ? I see the tab for "Unused" devices under Inventory. It doesn't seem to show if the devices are online. 

6 REPLIES 6
Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You can definitely pull all claimed devices from Organization -> Inventory.
However, there's no way to differentiate online vs. offline.

@Brash That's is what I was afraid or really. We are trying to locate AP's throughout the Enterprise that are online and claimed, but just haven't been applied to a certain location (Network). 

Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If the AP's are connected to Meraki switches, you can go to the switch's network and you should see them as clients with an OS type of Meraki even if the AP's themselves aren't added to the network. If you have a small number of networks, that's a quick and easy way to find them.
The below image is of an AP (unclaimed and not in a network) that I briefly had connected to a Meraki switch.

Brash_0-1644196262299.png

Depending on the scope, you could create a dummy network and add them all into it and note which are online. However depending on your licensing, it may push you into grace period for that time.

Otherwise if you have all of the MAC addresses and a relatively small or flat network, you can try tracking them through the network.

Thanks for the reply! I created a dummy network and I see AP's starting to come online now. 

PaulMcG
Getting noticed

Place all unused APs into a temporary network.  Any that are able to reach the Meraki cloud will show up as online.  The status page should give you some info on which switch/port it is connected to. 

Once you have what you need, remove them from the temporary network as to not affect licensing.

That was the fix! I appreciate the response. They are slowly starting to show up online. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels