Recommendations on Meracki APs comparable to replace Cisco 1142 APs??

Missions_210
New here

Recommendations on Meracki APs comparable to replace Cisco 1142 APs??

Needed to replace about 140 Cisco 1142 APs any recommendation  replace?  

Also does Mericki AP's work with Cisco 5508 Controllers?? 

Thanks!!! Any info appreciated!

3 REPLIES 3
BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

Go with MR42 for office deployments where WiFi is used for more than just guest traffic.

You don't use controllers with Meraki APs, the controller functionality resides in the Meraki cloud (and is included with the LIC-ENT-xYR you buy). So no, they don't work with the 5508 controllers, but you don't need them anymore either.

See this link:

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/MR_Quick_Start

@BrechtSchamp is correct and I'd add that if you're just looking to do a 1:1 replacement then the MR42 is a fine choice, but it would help to know a few things to make a more solid recommendation. 

Are there any existing performance or coverage or interference issues in the existing deployment, or is it to simply refresh the again equipment to the latest equivalent?  Was a site survey completed prior to the existing deployment that could be referenced?  

What kind of deployment is this, perhaps corporate cubicle office space and conference rooms, or perhaps classrooms in school buildings, or some other kind of space like retail or hospital or something else? 

Are there any requirements around performance levels, like a certain amount of minimum throughput per client? 

What is the maximum client density in any given area across the deployment, for example will it mostly be low/medium client density with a few pockets of high density like in a large conference room or auditorium?  Because you might want to consider a higher-end 4x4:4 AP like MR52 in certain places.

What are the client devices (or will it be a mix like in a BYOD environment) and what are the primary applications that will be in use, such as generic web/email for guests versus internal employee applications, and do those applications have associated performance requirements?  And will the wifi also be supporting voice and/or location tracking?

Sorry so many questions but if you have some of that info, we would be happy to assist further.

What have you got powering these AP's?  I hope it is at least using 802.3af, as opposed to the older Cisco proprietary PoE in use at that time.

The 1142 is really really old technology now.  I think anything in the Meraki line up would be an improvement. Like the others, I prefer the MR42 unless you are using it in dense environments, and then I would go for the MR53.

The MR42 and MR53 wont work on the older proprietary Cisco PoE.  They will work on 802.3af, but it will restrict its functionality.  You really need 802.3at PoE to operate them at their full potential.

So consider how you are going to power the solution.  You may need to upgrade your PoE switches as well.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels