Reboot multiple APs simultaneously

Solved
USMCMortars0341
Comes here often

Reboot multiple APs simultaneously

Hello Everyone, 

It's probably been asked before, but I was wondering if there was a way via the Dashboard to reboot APs multiple simultaneously.

I know the TAC engineers can do it, but I didn't know if they added the feature for regular Network Engineers. 

1 Accepted Solution

It's simple but works:

Script Reference:

import requests
import datetime
now = datetime.datetime.now()
filename_prefix ='log'
network = "NETWORK-ID"
s1 = "AP-SERIAL_NUMBER"

#RUNNING REBOOT ON DEVICES
ap1 = "https://api.meraki.com/api/v0/networks/{}/devices/{}/reboot".format(network, s1)
payload = {}
headers = {
'X-Cisco-Meraki-API-Key': 'API_KEY,
'Content-Type': 'application/json'
}

#GENERATING THE RESPONSE CODE (TRUE = REBOOT OK /FALSE = REBOOT NOT OK)
response1 = requests.request("POST", ap1, headers=headers, data = payload)
)

#CREATING THE LOG FILE
filename = "%s_%.2i-%.2i-%i_%.2i-%.2i.txt" % (filename_prefix,now.day,now.month,now.year,now.hour,now.minute)
f = open(filename, 'w')

print('AP01', response1.text.encode('utf8'), file=f)f)
f.close()

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Nope, just using API.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

It's simple but works:

Script Reference:

import requests
import datetime
now = datetime.datetime.now()
filename_prefix ='log'
network = "NETWORK-ID"
s1 = "AP-SERIAL_NUMBER"

#RUNNING REBOOT ON DEVICES
ap1 = "https://api.meraki.com/api/v0/networks/{}/devices/{}/reboot".format(network, s1)
payload = {}
headers = {
'X-Cisco-Meraki-API-Key': 'API_KEY,
'Content-Type': 'application/json'
}

#GENERATING THE RESPONSE CODE (TRUE = REBOOT OK /FALSE = REBOOT NOT OK)
response1 = requests.request("POST", ap1, headers=headers, data = payload)
)

#CREATING THE LOG FILE
filename = "%s_%.2i-%.2i-%i_%.2i-%.2i.txt" % (filename_prefix,now.day,now.month,now.year,now.hour,now.minute)
f = open(filename, 'w')

print('AP01', response1.text.encode('utf8'), file=f)f)
f.close()

RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You could do it via API with a  PoE off / PoE On on selected ports.

Macguy
Getting noticed

You would think it would be something as easy as checking multiple boxes (AP's) and issuing a reboot command... lol.  Then again, we can't see something as simple as AP uptime or even switch uptime.  I've been making these kinds of wishes for years. 

I know, right? Everytime I put in a case with TAC, they always do it and I'm just like 'when is this coming to me?'. Crickets after that, lol. 

Semper Fi, (Pog here) thank you for your service. It was mentioned above but I use the switch to cycle the PoE ports we need to reboot...simple as it can be for now for me.

ie..interface range, shut, no shut. Good luck!

Semper Fi brother. Thank you for yours. I do that, but Meraki doesn't use CLI so it's all manual via GUI. That's the only thing I miss about non Meraki. 

AH! Meraki switch, yeap, missed that part. 

SplashAccess
Here to help

Hi All , just to let you know we have now created a new app for this function that you can download on IOS or Android . You can create groups of Meraki devices from any Network / ORG and schedule reboot times . https://meraki-rebooted.com/

Tim Ormrod

LOL 29.99 a year to be able to reboot multiple AP's from a mobile device.  Sorry... pass. 

Hi Macguy , The app is geared towards people who would like something quick and simple and don't have time to create the scripts to do it themselves , I am trying to get the pricing right as this is the first time we have created something like this for mobiles as SplashAccess has been creating Captive Portal solutions for nearly 11 years , Works out at £29.99 a year or £2.99 a month , this was calculated to try and cover ongoing server costs etc ... what would you think for pricing ??  We have new features being added to the app in the coming months and are keen to get your feedback to make it better . 

Tim Ormrod

Hey Tim,

Well first off, my main gripe is that this simple functionality should be build into Meraki dashboard.  Sadly, this is another example of TAC can do it but admins cannot (like also see switch/AP uptime).  We had a firmware issue with AP slowness over time and rebooting AP's in each network was the only solution.  Finally, a firmware update fixed the issue.  That was really the only time we needed to do what your app does.  Tough to determine a price tag. 

Weird, the app says age is 4 years old, something smells fishy. 

Hey Shawn,

I reached out to my Meraki rep who said this SplashAccess company is one of their top integration partners.  Definitely legit.  Who knows, maybe Cisco/Meraki purchases them. 

I think its something to do with the first app i created which was about 4 years ago, you know apple and its impossible to get any support 🙂 All legit and above board 

Tim Ormrod
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels