Reassigned MR45 to new network, will not fetch new config

AlexGregoire
Here to help

Reassigned MR45 to new network, will not fetch new config

I'm 99% sure I'm stuck unless someone manually resets the MR45 WAP - but I'm making sure.

I've reassigned an AP to a new network after the old one was closed down. The AP used (and will use) a self-assigned static IP. The new network is using different subnetting, going from 192.168.120.0/24 to 192.168.167.0/24. So the AP can't call out in the new network, and doesn't have any provision for a recovery mode DHCP pickup.

Am i stuck? This thing is 150 miles away and 14 feet in the air.

5 REPLIES 5
Bruce
Kind of a big deal

@AlexGregoire Unfortunately I believe you're stuck. Although before you start driving anywhere I'd see if you can get DHCP set up temporarily on the subnet. If the AP can't connect to Meraki with the static IP it should fall back to DHCP - just depends if you've got that available to you - then you can update it. If there are any other Meraki APs close-by you could also try forcing into a Mesh which might also get you out of the problem.

EDIT: Scrub the idea of using a wireless Mesh - just double checked this one, and unfortunately with a static IP address assigned the AP won't look to join a Mesh.

If the AP can't connect to Meraki with the static IP it should fall back to DHCP

DHCP is on in the subnet - we just don't use it for the infrastructure equipment. It's a unified Meraki network - router-switches-APs, and the DHCP table is straightforward, doesn't have any reservations or other settings. By what you said, it ought to work.

Bruce
Kind of a big deal

Yes, it should fall-back to DHCP. If its not you'll need to check if you're seeing the DHCP request, and double check the DHCP setup.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I know it doesn't help, but this is one of the reasons why we use DHCP wherever possible for everything, with reservations if needed.  It's worth taking the leap as we used to come up with issues like this on assorted manufacturer's devices often enough to be annoying.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I'm with @cmr .  We stopped using static IP addresses years ago.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels