Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Raspberry pi connection issues with Meraki

Highlighted
Conversationalist

Raspberry pi connection issues with Meraki

Hi Everyone,

We have about 12 laptop charging stations that have raspberry pi with wireless adapters integrated. Im having an overall large issue with connecting to the wireless.  I will get "client has left AP" over and over. I was able to consistently connect one of the towers to a Mifi hotspot that I had on hand with no issue. My SSID is currently broadcasting both 2.4 & 5, 802.11r is disabled. On the dashboard, I will see it connect for a hot sec and then drop off. Any help would be great as I've been reaching out to both ends (manufacturer and Meraki support) and both point to each other.

Screen Shot 2019-08-13 at 6.26.00 PM.png

10 REPLIES 10
Head in the Cloud

Re: Raspberry pi connection issues with Meraki

Hi @dmiss 

The Meraki documentation suggest the following reason for this event.

• 802.11 disassociation: client has left AP - A client informed the AP that it should no longer keep the client in its association table. You may see this if the client has potentially gone into a hibernate state, a powered down state, or the client may have chosen to roam to another AP.

Do you think this could be a reason?

Few suggestions.

• Try "Disabling band steering" if already not.
  • If you see lots of SSIDs in your Air Marshal scans. Try setting the Channel width to 20 if already not.

Cheers
Ajit
ajitsnw@gmail.com
Conversationalist

I've looked this up as well and I have band steering disabled and all of our radios are set to 20 and still nothing. 

Kind of a big deal

@dmiss  Is the client getting an IP address as you woud expect?, I wonder if its not getting an address so its killing the connection. 

Meraki CMNO, Ruckus WISE, Sonicwall CSSA, Allied Telesis CASE & CAI
Conversationalist

Some I have set to dhcp (and whitelisted the mac address on the dhcp server), others I have set to a static ip and still nothing. 

Kind of a big deal

What firmware are the MR running?

Meraki CMNO, Ruckus WISE, Sonicwall CSSA, Allied Telesis CASE & CAI
Conversationalist

MR 26.2

also, I moved one of the APs into my test network and downgraded it to the lastest stable 25.13 & the results were no different. 

Kind of a big deal

I run Ubuntu on my Pi's - and I don't recall seeing or having this issue.

Getting noticed

Same here: a lot of Raspberries running Ubuntu or Raspbian without a single issue at all.

Kind of a big deal

Are you able to run a packet capture/wireshark on the Raspberry Pi on its WLAN interface by any chance?
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn
Conversationalist

I dont have access to the pi since its 3rd party owned/managed...but I was able to run a sniffer from my macbook and had Meraki support review the pcaps. they stated that the pi is sending probe request and the AP is returning them but nothing in the pcap shows the pi sending authentication requests. I relayed this info over to the manufacturer and ultimately, they keep saying its not them. I firmly believe something is up with the Pi itself, but I wanted to run this through the forum to get some fresh eyes. 

Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.