RF spectrum

kYutobi
Kind of a big deal

RF spectrum

Annotation 2019-10-23 105046.jpg

Would anyone know why I'm getting high utilization on this channel? These 2 AP's are the only ones on this channel and when I do look at LIVE RF it states non 802.11 interference.

Enthusiast
14 REPLIES 14
NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

El oh el

Reboot them (or one first just to show you), and then show me what it shows you

I got 100 bucks the utilization goes back down to normal levels after you reboot it

Wanna know how I know that?
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn

@NolanHerring wrote:

Wanna know how I know that?

You read it on Reddit? 

😛

Nope lol

I figured it out all by myself, forged in the fires of experience
TwitterLinkedIn

haha

That is after-all the ultimate work out routine. Works all the muscles, that is video proof
TwitterLinkedIn

Thanks for the Conan reference lol. I will let you know what happens.

Enthusiast
kYutobi
Kind of a big deal

Annotation 2019-10-23 105046.jpg

Rebooted AP and this is what I have still. I hate this because its non 802.11. 😠

Enthusiast

Oh that's different lol

Sometimes I have high channel utilization on 5ghz radios, randomly. Reboot and it fixes the glitch. Its a bug i've learned to live with and assumed you had the same thing. Shame on me =(

You'd have to do some onsite spectrum analysis to determine what it is
TwitterLinkedIn

@NolanHerring was wrong?!?!

image.png

Sorry... I'll stop with the Conan the Barbarian stuff now 😞

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Look for other things in the environment that can emit RF (like Microwaves, cordless phones, DECT unit, etc).  Try turning them off until you locate the issue.

@PhilipDAth  Microwave, DECT etc only usually affect 2.4Ghz not 5Ghz. Have you run a wifi scan to see if there are any rogue AP's in the area?

@PhilipDAth  it's non 802.11 and I checked anything that might be emitting this on 2.4. @BlakeRichardson Air Marshall would've told me of anything "rogue" but something is going wild on channel 40. What I've done so far is just disable the channel on APs but it's killing me idk what it is.

Enthusiast
GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Your screenshot shows interference on the 5 GHz band not 2.4 GHz.

It could be another AP that is too close to this one.
The side-lobe transmissions from a nearby channel are identified as non-WiFi interference.

switch to 802.11ad. Manufacturers are just milking their 5 GHz tech and sticking their heads in the ground. Everybody wants a piece of the 5 GHz spectrum.

medical-ostrich-bird-head_in_sand-aspirin-pill-vsh0572_low[1].jpg

Robin St.Clair | Principal, Caithness Analytics | @uberseehandel
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels