Question on MA-ANT-27 and MR74

Duddsy
Conversationalist

Question on MA-ANT-27 and MR74

Hi All,

My question is, since the MA-ANT-27 is a dual band antenna would it theoretically be possible to connected one antenna to the two vertical ports on the MR74 (2.4G and 5G) and a second antenna to the two horizontal ports (2.4G and 5G). If possible is there any downside to this approach?

Cheers.

6 REPLIES 6
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I'm not 100% sure - but I think the approach you have outlined is correct.  That should be fine.

Duddsy
Conversationalist

Cheers Philip. Thanks.

GreenMan
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

I stumbled on this post, looking for something else...

Keen to understand how you got on:

A)  Because I wasn't sure what you meant by horizontal and vertical ports  (MR74 has a pair of antenna ports on the top (one radio) and a pair on the bottom (other radio).

B)  It sounded like what you might be doing was the opposite of ideal...   If you have an antenna, such as an MA-ANT-25, then its two pigtails should be connected to the same radio (both plugged into the same side of the MR74).   A second one would plug into the two ports on the opposite side of the AP.   If this is what you've done and I've misinterpreted, my apologies...

Hi, forgive me if this has been solved, but can you help me understand: 

The MA-ANT-27 is dual radio antenna, but has only 2 x N-Type Connectors according to the spec sheet.   

If its a dual radio antenna, why isn't there 4 connectors ??

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You add 2 to the AP

It's a dual-band antenna; i.e. each antenna element inside the antenna unit serves both the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz radio simultaneously. There are two elements in the antenna, one per pigtail. This is why there are two antennas required, to support an AP with 4 antenna posts. For APs with dual-band antenna posts (i.e. MR84) it's important that both antennas cover the same area - as client devices supporting multiple streams will attempt to use them, to build a higher bandwidth connection. If used with APs which have dedicated antenna posts for each of the 2.4 and 5 GHz radios (MR74), you could, theoretically, have different antennas attached, covering different areas.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels