QoS/DSCP Marking doesn't seem to be working

SOLVED
Stevenjw0728
Here to help

QoS/DSCP Marking doesn't seem to be working

I have a MR42 with a traffic shaping rule that says localnet:192.168.10.128/32 which is my wireless camera, ignore SSID-Per Client limit so that way the camera can use what it needs. The PCP dropdown isnt available so I have set the DSCP tagging to be AF41. So when the MR42 sees that hosts traffic it should mark it with AF41 correct? I then have the switch to to trust all markings on all ports, so it shouldn't change there, then on the MX I have a rule for that host as well that says mark DSCP with AF41. I am not sure I need the MX rule but also confused on how the WAN link knows what to send first and what to queue. I took a packet capture of the camera traffic and it seems to be getting marked with 0, best effort.

1123.PNG

So am I missing something here?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

That looks like a capture from the radio side? What does a capture on the wired side look like? 

Also, if you're marking AF41 then that's in the IP headers and not the 802.11 headers. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

That looks like a capture from the radio side? What does a capture on the wired side look like? 

Also, if you're marking AF41 then that's in the IP headers and not the 802.11 headers. 

Good Catch. I didn't choose wired on the drop down.

So i assume I wouldn't need the same rule on the MX? It should stay AF41 through the whole network till it gets to the MX correct? And then does the MX follow normal QoS markings for forwarding traffic to the WAN. 

Nope, you shouldn't need a rule on the MX. It'll just pass through whatever markings are already there. You would only need something if you wanted to give it some sort of priority. 

When you create a group policy and apply it to a device like a camera and there aren't any traffic shaping rules set does the device follow the global settings?

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels