PtP L2 Bridge

RumorConsumer
Head in the Cloud

PtP L2 Bridge

I was thinking today why doesn't Cisco/Meraki make something that does this? I would prefer to stick will full stack but I had the need to do some 300-400 foot wireless L2 bridges and my experience is using the Meraki HW in mesh isn't as solid. The mesh algorithm makes some weird decisions and I cant trust it 100%. I have used the L2 PtP hardware from that company that starts with U and ends with biquiti and I have to say its outstandingly good. Been up and running for a month. I have the receiving end connected to a switch and then 5+ Meraki indoor APs and have stressed it with many clients on each and the PtP bridge doesn't even break a sweat. Zoom, web, FaceTime, uploads, it just does it. Cisco make something like this and take my money!

Networking geek since high school where I got half of a CCNA. Played Marathon II and Infinity over localtalk.
Made many a network over the years, now de facto admin of a retreat center with some of this fine Meraki hardware.
Fortune 100 Tech veteran/refugee.
2 Replies 2
GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Cisco does have meshing(with ethernet bridging) with VLAN support, but you'd need Aironet AP's voor that function and preferably with a controller because the cheaper Mobility Express option does have a few caveats and stuff you can't configure using the GUI.

Yeah that sounds really involved just to get a wireless link across a long field or over a road. We have both situations here and I was skeptical but it has been rock solid at over 1.5gbit.

Networking geek since high school where I got half of a CCNA. Played Marathon II and Infinity over localtalk.
Made many a network over the years, now de facto admin of a retreat center with some of this fine Meraki hardware.
Fortune 100 Tech veteran/refugee.
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels