Promethean OSP-G Android Units on Meraki MR42 APs - slow throughput

SOLVED
Bossnine
Building a reputation

Promethean OSP-G Android Units on Meraki MR42 APs - slow throughput

Since they introduced new model (they being Promethean - which uses an Android device) I've began to experience extremely slow throughput to the device.  I'm running MR42's.  The older model Android device works fine, as do every other device connected to this AP.  Laptops, iPads, phones, etc. 

If I remove all authentication the affected Android device works perfectly. Everything points to a problem with the driver or the wireless cards themselves; however, getting Promethean (via developers) to address this have proven to be difficult. 

Its a rather specific issue so its a long shot asking if anyone else has this issue, but here I am anyway.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Bossnine
Building a reputation

Sorry I forgot to update this.

i guess I found the issue, at least for us.  I only have MR42’s so could not test with other models; however, I tried multiple boards, aps, rooms, schools, etc to no avail.  

same symptoms as you describe with the particular model board. The only thing I found to make it work was to set my channel with to 20Mhz for that SSID and I Haven’t seen it return—-I’m surprised you say it returns for you after that change.

we just started getting in new boards with a google device powering it and no issues at all. Ironically the new boards have a built in android hardware and the issue is on that hardware, but not the attached google hardware

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Sound like a device issue to me.

It's not connecting to the 2.4Ghz spectrum by accident?

Bossnine
Building a reputation

No, in fact I tried on 2.4 and 5 with no significant change in behavior. 

Hello.  Have you had any luck fixing this issue?  I am having the same exact problem.  The new OPS-G and the MR42s have been a big problem.  Some additional information I have found:

If I have an OPS-G that is having problems, I can switch the MR42 with another spare MR42 and the problem goes away.   Or if I switch out the MR42 with an MR33, MR18, etc, the problem also goes away.  Or if I replace the OPS-G with an older model Connect-G using the original MR42, the problem goes away.  I can have two OPS-Gs in different rooms with MR42s.  One works fine, the other does not.  My local Promethean rep says "we are working on it". 

What else have I tried?
Switching band on SSID to 5GHz only

Shortening the transmit power range

Set channel width to 20MHz only

...but the problem always returns

Suggestions?

Bossnine
Building a reputation

Sorry I forgot to update this.

i guess I found the issue, at least for us.  I only have MR42’s so could not test with other models; however, I tried multiple boards, aps, rooms, schools, etc to no avail.  

same symptoms as you describe with the particular model board. The only thing I found to make it work was to set my channel with to 20Mhz for that SSID and I Haven’t seen it return—-I’m surprised you say it returns for you after that change.

we just started getting in new boards with a google device powering it and no issues at all. Ironically the new boards have a built in android hardware and the issue is on that hardware, but not the attached google hardware

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels