Product line compatibility?

KevinW
Here to help

Product line compatibility?

Looking for some advice/confirmation of my understanding on some network issues I'm having.

(New IT admin here for a small office).

Current setup:

ISP -> Cisco Network Switch (owned by building) -> MX65W (ours) -> GS110-24 (ours) -> GR 10 Meraki Go APs (ours, 3 of them) 

Wireless printer is connected to wifi network broadcast from MX65W

Devices unable to print to that printer if connected via network broadcast from one of the APs, can only do so if connection to wifi network on MX65W is established.

Is it possible to configure so all devices are on the same network and can print?  Can I get the Meraki Go APs to broadcast the network that the MX device is broadcasting?

Or do the different product lines MX (M series) vs the GS and GR (G Series) prevent this?

Thanks in advance.
5 REPLIES 5
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Have you tried configuring bonjour?

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Client_Addressing_and_Bridging/Bonjour_Forwarding

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

When clients connect on Mx ssid and AP ssid are they in same subnet? Do you know that there is no roamming between Mx wifi and APs ?

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Roaming is a client dicision. So you can still roam if the ssid is the same and the AP ssid are in bridge mode and using same vlan.

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The wireless function of the Z-Series and MX is designed to act as a standalone infrastructure base station in a small office or home office (SOHO) site. 

There is no roaming between MX-xxW and MR, because they don't exchange any information about the client database, security, etc. Roaming is more than just going from one access point to another.

RyGuy
Here to help

There's a lot of ambiguity here.

Some questions that need to be answered

• Is the issue that clients are unable to automatically discover these printers?
  • Are you able to print to this printer on the GR10 if you manually setup the client PC printer config with the printers IP address?

If the answer is no to both of the above. Then your focus right now should be on layer 3 roadblocks such as firewall rules, VLANs and NAT instead of Client roaming behavior and L2 mDNS/bonjour.

Do you receive the same IP address when connected to the GR10 that you do when connected to the MX65W?

• Yes?
    • Check switch ACL's
    • Check MX Outbound rules, I'm not actually sure if the MX outbound rules can apply to traffic bridged between wired/wireless in a similar fashion to the MR L3 rules. You can throw in an Allow Any Any at the top of the MX outbound rule set and see if behavior changes. )
  • No?
    • Is the GR10 SSID clients are connecting to configured with Guest Mode enabled?
      • Yes?
        • Disable Guest Mode (or throw in an exception for the printer IP if one's configured)
    • Are VLAN's configured?
      • Yes?
        • Check MX outbound firewall rules. Last rule is allow any any. If you have any custom L3 rules throw in allow any any above them to see if that resolves the issue.
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels