Per SSID bandwidth limits

RumorConsumer
Head in the Cloud

Per SSID bandwidth limits

At my retreat Center I have two SSIDs one is for residence which I leave is unrestricted because people behave and I have one for guests which is behind a splash page with terms and conditions. My line is 100 Mb up and down symmetrical and I want guests to only be able to use up to 50 Mb of that. I’ve looked through the settings and it seems this is more per user then per SSID. Thoughts?

Networking geek since high school where I got half of a CCNA. Played Marathon II and Infinity over localtalk.
Made many a network over the years, now de facto admin of a retreat center with some of this fine Meraki hardware.
Fortune 100 Tech veteran/refugee.
6 REPLIES 6
jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

Under Wireless > Firewall and traffic shaping:

image.png

***EDIT***

Keep reading below 🠇🠇🠇

hoempf
Getting noticed

Keep in mind this limit is *per AP*. So if you have two APs and two clients connected to this SSID -- each on another AP -- they could use up your 100 Mbit/s.

Also you can't override it by Group Policy or per-Client settings.
jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

Nice catch @hoempf ! I overlooked that part 😞

image.png

Wow, that's misleading...

DillonofAnch17
Getting noticed

I have to agree that the setting seems to be very fluctuating I have to ensure my ap's are set appropriately!
jasonbrown23
Here to help

do you want each guest to have access to 50 or do you want the guest network to only get 50? sounds like per ssid and not per client

right id like to make it per SSID but Meraki only enforces that per AP IIRC

Networking geek since high school where I got half of a CCNA. Played Marathon II and Infinity over localtalk.
Made many a network over the years, now de facto admin of a retreat center with some of this fine Meraki hardware.
Fortune 100 Tech veteran/refugee.
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels