P2P application support with W-Fi configuration

kukku
Here to help

P2P application support with W-Fi configuration

HI Expert, I need to develop Wi-Fi P2P based application for following system configuration.

Device A (with Wi-Fi Module) connected to Device B (does not have Wi-Fi module) through ethernet link. I need to support one P2P based application on Device B. Would it be possible assuming VLAN group is supported in system?

Thanks 

7 REPLIES 7
BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

I'm not sure what you mean by P2P, that could mean many things. However if you just need device B to connect to the Wi-Fi network through device A then it is possible.

It's a very ghetto way if doing things, but what you need is called bridging network adapters:

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-set-and-manage-network-bridge-connection-windows-10

Basically you tell windows to transfer packets between the wired and the wireless interface on device A. I'm assuming having device A and B on the same VLAN is okay. If not, then I think this solution will not work. Likewise if you need 802.1X I doubt it would work.

Sorry I didn't explain clearly. By P2P (peer to peer) I meant Wi-Fi Direct. Assuming Device A and Device B are part of same VLAN group, then is it possible to have run WiFi direct based application (e.g. WiFi printing) on Device B.

BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

I'm afraid I still don't understand. So device B supports Wi-Fi direct, but doesn't have a WiFi card?

Device A supports Wi-Fi Infrastructure as well as Wi-Fi Direct. Device B (does not have any Wi-Fi module) is connected to Device A through ethernet link. Assuming I am allowed to make software changes on Device B (in worst case on Device A as well), is it possible to run Wi-Fi Direct based application on Device B?

BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

Honnestly I have no idea. You're talking about some sort of proxy WiFi direct interface on device A with in the backend some IP based interface on device B.

Thanks. Yes, your understanding is correct. Not sure but was thinking adding Device A and B in same VLAN would help.

Thanks a lot Mr. @BrechtSchamp . I think not many have experienced this kind of use cases hence issue can closed.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels