Outdoor (MR76) AP signal strength over distance

MrBear
Here to help

Outdoor (MR76) AP signal strength over distance

Hello.

I have a (10) MR46's indoor and (2) MR76's outdoors. Everything works well except for one of the outdoor MR76's and wondering if I am expecting too much out of it, in terms of signal distance & strength.

There are VERY FEW users on that AP, the ground is basically flat and the only thing in-between the AP and the desired usage areas is a medium sized willow tree.  The desired usage distances are between 120 feet to 200 feet.

I've included a photo of the AP & antennas (of course this is not a photo of it installed; I brought it into my office to look at it closer).

I often time loose connection and need to walk closer to that AP... are my exceptions too much here?

If it's simply a matter of being too far away; do you think the newer MR86 would yield better results?

Thanks!!

IMG_0862.jpeg

4 Replies 4
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@MrBear with those antennas I would not expect a long range as they are not focused in any particular direction.  Do you have all round coverage requirements, or do you want it all in front of the AP etc.?  If in one direction then a pair of sector antennas might be better for you as they extend the signal distance by up to 2.5 times - 5 GHz Sector Antenna (13 dBi Gain) | Cisco Meraki

MrBear
Here to help

Great info...

I would say not round coverage but also not super directional.  I did a quick map showing where the AP is installed and the general areas that I need coverage. For reference while looking at the map, that longest of the four arrows is approximately 200 feet.

The BIG red arrow is where the willow tree is.

Screen Shot 2021-07-12 at 12.46.34 PM.png

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@MrBear the sector antenna does about an 80 degree spread so would be ideal for you, I think it will make a big difference.  If you want to keep the existing antennas I'd position the AP where the tree is as it goes all round!

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I agree with @cmr.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels