Omnis and a sector = ghetto backhaul

RumorConsumer
Head in the Cloud

Omnis and a sector = ghetto backhaul

Hey guys. I am exhausted and I think this is a silly question but I’m gonna ask anyways-

I have a MR84 on building 1. About 150 feet from there with perfect line of sight i have building 2 upon which I want to put a MR74 to act as a 5ghz receiver. The MR84 has two sets of omnis on it. My question is if I want the 84 to do it’s Omni thing and reach a wide angle but i want the 74 to simply be as good a wireless bridge as possible *without changing the omnis on 84* the 5ghz sector on the bottom ports of 74 is my best bet, yes? Both units having sectors would of course be best but this will still work... right?

The plan is to pipe the 74 to a poe+ switch inside building 2 and then do a wired hop to a MR52 inside the building. Building two has a metal roof and I can’t trench between them yet so i think this is my best shot at getting a good signal inside building 2. It’s a home set up for maybe 4 users way out in the country so requirements are way minimal.

Networking geek since high school where I got half of a CCNA. Played Marathon II and Infinity over localtalk.
Made many a network over the years, now de facto admin of a retreat center with some of this fine Meraki hardware.
Fortune 100 Tech veteran/refugee.
1 Reply 1
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Yes, you can have omni's n the MR84 and a sector antenna on the MR74.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels