Odd RF Spectrum readings

CBL
Conversationalist

Odd RF Spectrum readings

I am seeing some odd readings from RF spectrum on Meraki MR33s. I am going to include them below. One of the access points is on the Third floor of a small residence hall and the other is on the second floor. User complain of slow connections and constant disconnects. But I am not sure what to make of this or what would cause this much disruption across so many channels. So, I am hoping someone hear will know more than I do and point me in the right direction.

3rd Floor AP3rd Floor AP

Second Floor APSecond Floor AP

First Floor APFirst Floor AP 

4 REPLIES 4
BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

I am far from an RF expert, but I have seen similar looking graphs when there were interfering devices.  In one case I found out a wireless bridge on the roof was set to use 2.4 channel 5 (and probably very high power settings).  I had them change it to a 1, 6 or 11 channel and it cleared up complaints from users on the Meraki network.

Isn't there a list of interfering AP's below these graphs?  I think you are looking at interference from WiFi and maybe even non WiFi devices.

- Ex community all-star (⌐⊙_⊙)
CBL
Conversationalist

This has been my thought. There are many wireless devices, multiple printers, Rokus, and hotspots. I am in the process of bringing these under control and trying to communicate the issue of wireless interference with students. There is also a Netgear wireless router that has shown itself on channel 3, but it does not appear on the network. I am going to visit the residence hall with a wireless tester and make note of which rooms the SSIDs lead me to. Of course, COVID is making this difficult and as students have issues they are pulling up more hotspots rather than reporting issues to us. 

Oddly there is nothing showing on Channel 7 or 8. I only see BSSIDs on 1, 3, 6, and 11. But it sure looks like something is screaming on channel 7.

This residence hall has always been an issue. Without students, the wireless survey shows the current deployment to be ideal. But when they move it, the whole environment changes due to the small rooms and small foot print of the building placing wireless devices close to one another.

CBL
Conversationalist

Spoiler

Just an update. We had a power outage take these APs offline. After the power was restored, the issue has gone away.

BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

Probably to MR's chose new auto channels after reboot.  Can you clarify if the RF spectrum still looks similar after the reboot or did you just mean the end user problem went away?

- Ex community all-star (⌐⊙_⊙)
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels