No internet access when connected to guest_wifi SSID

SOLVED
RJAC
Here to help

No internet access when connected to guest_wifi SSID

Hello Everyone

Where having this issue where in once a client/user is connected to our guest wifi ssid they cannot get internet access.

ipconfig details of the client is correct its just that once we ran a traceroute the 1st hop is 10.128.128.128 and were certain that IP address (10.128.128.128) is not within our network.

Other SSID's are working fine.

Meraki details

MR55

Current version: MR 26.4

Thanks

RJAC

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @MinnesotaKid 

with regards to 10.128.128.128 IP that only appears when splash page settings is set to Cisco ISE once we point to none (direct access) the path changes and 10.128.128.128 was out of the picture.

its a bit strange, though because that tells us that 10.128.128.128 is somehow caused by ISE but on our end were certaiun that its not our ISE

thank you

Rajesh

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
RJAC
Here to help

guest_wifi_issue_LI.jpg

ipconfig and traceroute

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

10.128.128.128 is a meraki AP ip.  any fw rules configured?

RJAC
Here to help

Hello Ww/Everyone

Yes theirs fw rules configured on meraki (wireless environment) is there any specific rules we need to allow or deny?

it was also working before and the issue started to occur recently. 

by the way Addressing and traffic settings is set to bridge mode and no change was made on the meraki

Coesione_srl
Here to help

Hi @RJAC 

Permit in your firewall the Access Point IP to go in Internet.

Let me know.

Regards,

Hi  Coesione_srl

All of the AP's were able to connect to the internet via ping and traceroute.

and we have 10 acl rules in place but i can only show the last 2 acl rules. please see below

FW.jpg

the 1st 8 acl rules is just to allow traffic from our ISE servers.

thank you

RJAC

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Put them all on allow  and see if it works. (To check if its a fw issue)

The ise  does not push  any rules?

RJAC
Here to help

Hi WW/Everyone

ISE is only for authentication, we checked the logs on ISE and users are authenticated its just that once they are associated with the guest wifi theres no internet access

thank you

RJAC

DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hi @RJAC 

When on the guest network can you ping your DNS servers?

Have you done a PING from your core switch from the Guest SSID VLAN SVI out to the Internet?

Do you get the same result when wired?

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.

Hi Uccer/Everyone

ping from core router sourcing svi of guest wifi can reach the internet

wired connection can reach the internet as well

when we connect to other ssid we can reach the internet as well

the issue is just happening on guest wifi ssid. (1st hop is 10.128.128.128)

thank you

RJAC

DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hi @RJAC 

Have you cHacked your firewall settings for the ssid

Wireless > Configure > Firewalling and Traffic Shaping

Theres a setting there that blocks access to the wired LAN.  This could be stopping DNS lookups and therefore internet access

UCcert_0-1594801484917.png

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.

Hi UCcert /Everyone

further troubleshooting results that its an issue on our ISE.

when we change the splash page settings to None (direct access), users were able to browse the internet and the 10.128.128.128 ip was cleared. 1st hop was the ISP public ip.

thank you for all of the suggestions and help

RJAC

DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Well done @RJAC for sticking with it and resolving the issue.

MinnesotaKid
Conversationalist

Hi @RJAC - I seem to running into a similar issue on my end as well today. We also have an ISE splash page for our guest net. 

Would you be willing to post what version of ISE you’re running? We’re at 2.3 patch 7. 

Whoa @MinnesotaKid, time to upgrade quite quickly then, 2.3 is in End of Support state since last month:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/security/identity-services-engine/bulletin-c25-741...

@CptnCrnchi appreciate the note, but we’re all too familiar with that date :). Budgets, approvals, yada yada. 

On the issue at hand though, I’m curious to see if this is and issue on the ISE or meraki side. This 10.128.128.128 IP also shows up in the NAT mode documentation. 

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Client_Addressing_and_Bridging/NAT_Mode_with_Meraki_DHCP

Hi @MinnesotaKid 

with regards to 10.128.128.128 IP that only appears when splash page settings is set to Cisco ISE once we point to none (direct access) the path changes and 10.128.128.128 was out of the picture.

its a bit strange, though because that tells us that 10.128.128.128 is somehow caused by ISE but on our end were certaiun that its not our ISE

thank you

Rajesh

Hi  @MinnesotaKid 

the problematic version of ISE on our end is version 2.6.0.156 patch 2,6 and we end up rolling it back to version 2.6.0.156 patch 2. that seems to resolve the issue for us 🙂

Cheers

RJAC

jefryarch
New here

It could be an issue with your operating system settings or the router. Unfortunately, there is no single solution to fix this issue. As a first step, restart your networking equipment and device and see if that fixes the problem. As with the router, network and software problems often get fixed automatically with a simple restart. Also, check if the connection line to your ISP is working. All the status lights on your modem should be on (Power, DSL, Data, LAN). If it doesn't help you, then go to the following section.

• Distance from Laptop to wifi-router
  • Check Modem Lights
  • Flush your DNS
  • Change your DNS server address
  • IP address conflict
  • Outdated network driver
  • Check your ISP's status

Irin
New here

Hi, I need help to setup my guest wifi.I created a ssid and also created a guest vlan in cisco meraki dashbroad but still there is no internet connection for that ssid. when i used my default vlan 1 that ssid was working. But when i created a new vlan 11 the ssid is not working.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels