No SSID's broadcasted after MR-52-AP's factory reset

--JayJay--
Comes here often

No SSID's broadcasted after MR-52-AP's factory reset

I've done a factory reset (> 5 sec. push on factory reset button) on an MR-52 AP, but it's not broadcasting any of the default SSID's described here.

The AP 's status LED is cycling through rainbow like colors and also blinking orange in between the cycles.

The goal is to access the local status page.

Any ideas why the SSID's are not showing?

18 REPLIES 18
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Have you tried manually putting in the SSID?

How can I add SSID's manually when not able to connect to the AP ?

It is covered in step 3 of the document link you posted.

If a default SSID is being broadcast, connect your device to it

1. If no known default SSIDs are present, set up a manual wireless network connection 
  2. For the SSID name, use 'meraki-<MAC_Address>' e.g. 'meraki-XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX'

Yes, tried that one too. No succes.

Do the rainbow lights ever stop?  What do they settle on?

haven't measured the length of time precisely, but it's blinking orange for 3 to 4  minutes, interrupted by the rainbow sequence taking about 30 seconds.

This is repeated endless.

Both telling it's trying to find a gateway/uplink.

AP is on latest firmware (25.12) available for MR52.

Is the port that the AP is plugged into configured to use VLAN1?  Or another test - can you plug a notebook into the switch port used by the AP and get an IP address and access the Internet?

AjitKumar
Head in the Cloud

Hi Jay

This seems to be challanging. Incase your issue is not solved yet. How about trying following options again?

1 Try to keep the reset button pressed for 30 seconds.

2 Instead of POE switch use a POE injector to power up the AP. Make sure you do not connect LAN into Injector.

Incase you still do not see the "Meraki Scanning" SSID.

Last resort I  shall try is to connect AP to DHCP enabled LAN with OPEN internet. Many times I have used my Laptop along with USB datacard to create this environment enabling internet sharing feature on Windows OS.

Regards,
Ajit
AjitsNW@gmail.com
www.ajit.network

I 've tried the 30 sec. reset button press with the AP connected to a power injector, but with same result.

To make things clear on what the issue is:

It's not that the AP is not functioning anymore , I 've had it configured and working fine and it still does when connected to Meraki cloud , either through Meraki switch or other.

So , no worries there.

The only thing I am checking is the factory reset option, useful for 1st config through the Local Status Page.

Just wondering why the described procedure for Reset isn't working.

Hey @--JayJay--,

Definitely weird. Do the lights go off for a moment after a few seconds of pressing the Reset button? 

Normally you would push the button for around 15 seconds and at some points the light on the AP would go off and then turn back on again and cycle through the rainbow colours. 

Maybe make sure that the AP doesn't have internet access, so it can't download its configuration before it starts broadcasting the meraki_setup SSID. 

Thanks!

Giacomo

Please keep in mind that what I post here is my personal knowledge and opinion. Don't take anything I say for the Holy Grail, but try and see!
Appreciate who helps and be respectful of every opinion and every solution offered.
Share the love, especially the Meraki one!

Yes, the led lights indeed do go off after 5 seconds, together with the NIC activity led right beside the network port on the AP.

When pressing the reset button, the AP's status led is blinking green for about 5 seconds.

After the AP's reboot , after the reset, the AP status led turns back on again rainbow colored. Followed by sequences of orange led blinking. .

I made sure the AP isn't able to connect to Meraki cloud in two ways.

By removing uplink on the Meraki PoE-switch with the AP connected to the switch, and power the AP with power injector and no LAN connected , as AjitKumar suggested in his post.

In fact , when the AP can connect to Meraki cloud, it is indeed continuing the AP's configuration with SSID's and all.

Which I seek to prevent.

Hey @--JayJay--,

Keep in mind that if there is another AP in the area, we will try and mesh with it to gain connection.

You can easily see if this is the case from Dashboard by checking the Status symbol in the Wireless > Access Points page; if it's an empty green circle, it means it's meshing. 

Alternatively, on the page of the AP, you can go in the RF tab and check the Mesh neighbors section.

If this is the case, it would explain why you are still not seeing the AP default meraki_setup SSID.

Thanks!

Giacomo

Please keep in mind that what I post here is my personal knowledge and opinion. Don't take anything I say for the Holy Grail, but try and see!
Appreciate who helps and be respectful of every opinion and every solution offered.

There's no other Meraki AP around.

Hey @--JayJay--,

This sounds a bit of a weird behaviour. It might be something that we need to investigate a bit better... Feel free to raise a case either via Dashboard or give us a call on the support number, so we can have a look and try to find out what's going wrong.

Giacomo

...Case created through dashboard...

Hi @--JayJay--,

I'm quite new to Meraki but sadly I'm experiencing what appears to be the exact same issue with an MR33 out of the box.

I needed set the IP as static and I initially succeeded in doing that using a direct client to AP link via a PoE injector and browsing to 'http://my.meraki.com' but, on placing it on the network it did not register (despite seeing successful traffic on our firewalls) after a great deal of time, I removed it from the LAN, tried factory resetting it again but was not able to connect again via DNS or IP as per instructions, also there are no default SSID's as described in Meraki documentation (troubleshooting) and this post so I'm finding I have the exact same experience that you have with your AP.

I put the unit on a standard DIA and it does indeed register on the dashboard using DHCP and obtains the intended configuration, but I'm still goign to need to set a static address and have several other units to do which I'd prefer to do the the local config pages, what I have discovered when doing this is that it is also running firmware version 25.12, which I cannot seem to roll back.

Any news or updates you can give me on your case would be appreciated as I'm running out of options here other than to log another case..

The AP was replaced by Meraki through a case in the Meraki dashboard.

As described there was one issue with the AP, it was not accessible using the local status page nor SSID's after factory reset.

But there was no issue with setting a fixed IP address.

After the AP got itself an IP through DHCP, I changed it by setting a fixed IP.

MarkBr
Conversationalist

For others lie me googling for this issue and found this community...

I found that holding reset for 10-15 seconds (and the unit rebooting and resetting) was not enough. The unit appeared to be factory reset, but would not broadcast the default SSID.

To solve this, we had to hold reset down for at least 30 seconds (2+ back to back resets). This allowed us to see and connect to the default SSID and login and program static IP address information.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels