New troubleshooting capabilities

davidvan
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

New troubleshooting capabilities

Hi Community,

Every wireless dashboard user just woke up today with an upgrade in their dashboard this morning. For more, you can take a look at the blog here, or for detailed explanation, take a look at the new documentation page.

We know that across the IT industry, folks are challenged with multiple dashboards, troublesome wireless clients, network & management complexity, and difficulty troubleshooting the network end-to-end. Our goal is to make the user experience seamless, reduce troubleshooting from hours to minutes, and ideally make it proactive instead of reactive.

To summarize the updates:

1. Client Health. Visually monitor the network end-to-end and pinpoint issues
  2. Wireless Health summary on client page. Quick snapshot of the Wireless Health of a client
  3. Wireless Health summary on AP page. Quick snapshot of the Wireless Health of a AP
  4. Wireless Health 'Connections' tab on client page. Individual Wireless Health problematic connectivity stages of a client
  5. Wireless Health 'Connections' tab on AP page. Individual Wireless Health problematic connectivity stages of an AP
  6. Failed connections event log tab for clients. More easy to read event log for client connectivity failures.
  7. Failed connections event log tab for APs. More easy to read event log for AP connection failures.

Happy for you to post your feedback! Thanks.Meraki End to End Network Visibility.png

14 REPLIES 14
NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

This is great !

However, since this is still new, I'm expecting bugs. I have a site, full Meraki stack, but I only see the client--->AP--->SW2

When I should see, Client--->AP---->SW2---->SW1---->MX like in your examples

If I do not, should I reach out to support?
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn
Nash
Kind of a big deal

I'm seeing the same as Nolan: AP -> first switch, then nothing afterward.

However I do like this very much, especially for initial helpdesk troubleshooting when "the wireless doesn't work".

LudwigD
Getting noticed

Nice, I really like this.

Much easier for private usage.

Thanks,

LD

GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

That's a great step forward!

Request : for the switchlinks would it also be possible to include the link bandwidth usage and packet drops due to QoS?  Qos queue status etc...

I also experience the bug where only the first switch is displayed:

Behind the switch shown there is another MS225 acting as L3 switch, and behind that a pair of MX84's.

GIdenJoe_0-1583668685527.png

davidvan
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

Thanks for pointing that out @GIdenJoe 

You likely have a corner case scenario, as it should be showing the end-to-end view. I've notified the engineering/product teams about this.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

We have the same, only the first switch is shown.  The client below has an MX pair as the next hop.  The network is combined and includes the MR, MS and MX

Screenshot_20200309-223512_Chrome~2.jpg

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

After looking through two networks and fifteen clients I found one that has more than one hop, note this site has the MXs in a separate network.

Screenshot_20200309-224327_Chrome~2.jpg

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Here is the topology diagram for the network that doesn't show the MX:

cmr_0-1583848483340.png

The route for all data traffic is via the MX pair at the bottom that show the STP disabled redundant links, but not the actual live ones.  The diamond at the top labelled MX is the DHCP server that is actually on a different Meraki network and only used for DHCP and the management VLAN.  The diamond at the left doesn't exist (perhaps it is the live MX links) and the Cisco IOS switches that predated the MS stack is also on the topology as shown.

I think if the topology was correct, then the new troubleshooting would flow properly...

antonis_sp
Building a reputation

This is a great way to troubleshoot the entire client path if needed.
damienleick
Getting noticed

@davidvan 

Is meraki plan to add this feature to "wired" client ? It could be very usefull

thanks

davidvan
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

Anything is possible! We analyze our "Make A Wish" submissions as well, and I've seen that request a few times.

PawelG
Building a reputation

In my network consisting of MR45 Ap's the client troubleshooting always shows incorrect chain - client connected to AP and this AP connected then to another. In real all AP are connected to 3rd party switch/router (no LLDP enabled).

It looks like that:

Zrzut ekranu 2020-03-14 o 19.36.27.png

Br, Pawel.

@PawelG 

Maybe your first AP si running as a repeater ?

PawelG
Building a reputation

Nope, bot are connected to wired network.

When looking at client connected to the other AP it looks exactly the same but with reverse order of APs.

Br, Pawel. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels