New Network & Public IP

SOLVED
GJ1
Getting noticed

New Network & Public IP

Hi. Some of our staff are moving to a WeWork-style office and have requested to use their own AP to connect to the internet. I have a spare MR 32 that I want to assign to this new network. I have created the new network and added the AP to it, but I'm struggling to see how I can assign the public IP that we've been assigned to the access point.

I think (I maybe wrong), that after the shared office company open the ports on their firewall to enable access for the AP to Meraki cloud, and I connect up and assign the internal IP to the AP then it should work as intended. How am I able to ensure that it's manageable from our dashboard.

Hopefully this makes sense, if not happy to answer questions to clarify. Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MarcP
Kind of a big deal

"local config page" --> Dashboard - wireless - accesspoint - chosse the AP, there you can set it to static, the IP which will be provide by WeWorks DHCP

And on Help Tab (top right) "Firewall Info" has to be shown to them to allow the traffic.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
MarcP
Kind of a big deal

So you are moving the AP within the same building? How do you receive the public IP at the moment?

Assuming what you have written it seems to be static, so the Firewall guys seem to do NAT.

When you are moving from A to B they have to configure the VLAN to the new room and it should work.

If I understand you correct.

GJ1
Getting noticed

Hi Marc. The AP will be moving into a completely different building on a third party's network ('WeWorks'). For the APs in our offices, the public IP is automatically assigned to each AP (in my limited experience with Meraki I've never had to statically assign it).

MarcP
Kind of a big deal

So, when its dynamic, you should just receive it by dhcp and then cann add this within the aplliance status page as "static" so your radius auth will work (if this is what you are thinking about).

the others already said when I could also advice...

Hope your questions are answered (?)

GJ1
Getting noticed

Hi all. I think I understand.

1. Connect AP to network port

2. Sign into the AP's local config page

3. Enter the provided public IP

4. WeWork will configure what they need to on their end i.e. firewall rules to allow AP access to Meraki cloud

MarcP
Kind of a big deal

"local config page" --> Dashboard - wireless - accesspoint - chosse the AP, there you can set it to static, the IP which will be provide by WeWorks DHCP

And on Help Tab (top right) "Firewall Info" has to be shown to them to allow the traffic.

GJ1
Getting noticed

Got it. Many thanks, Marc!

MarcP
Kind of a big deal

I would recommend to tell them also, to get the IP out of the dhcp pool after you put it as your APs static IP...

Otherwise another device yould get that IP when your MR is offline several hours or days, depending to their leastime.

Raj66
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hi @GJ1 If you are trying to assign a static Ip (whether public or private) to the AP, you can do that from the local status page of the AP. Once you power up the AP, it will broadcast a default SSID that starts with the name Meraki like Meraki-scanning or Meraki-bad-gateway (If the AP don't get a DHCP IP from the upstream DHCP server). If the AP gets a DHCP IP, it will come online instantly and you can assign the static IP on the dashboard itself. More information in the below-mentioned document.

https://documentation.meraki.com/zGeneral_Administration/Tools_and_Troubleshooting/Using_the_Cisco_M...

Cheers!

Raj

If you found this post helpful, please give it kudos. If my answer solved your problem, click "accept as solution" so that others can benefit from it
AjitKumar
Head in the Cloud

Hi @GJ1 

May be I am not able pick up your queries effectively. This is what I understand

1. To Assign IP Address to AP. We cannot do this from the Dashboard. You may connect to the Meraki Scanning SSID and access the local status page to put in the desired IP. You can also use DHCP and there after can update the IP from the Dashboard once the device is live.

2. Public or Private - IP assigned to AP should have access to Meraki Cloud.

3. If you have network admin rights to dashboard you shall be able to manage the network else no.

Regards,
Ajit
AjitsNW@gmail.com
www.ajit.network
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels