Netgear Nighthawk Router and MR33 as range extender?

RH6379
Getting noticed

Netgear Nighthawk Router and MR33 as range extender?

I have a Netgear Nighthawk R8000 wireless router on the first floor of my house.  I don't get a strong signal on the top floor and opposite end of the house.  I am getting a free MR33 AP.  I'd like to use that MR33 on the top floor so that it provides stronger WiFi on that end of the house.  Can I set up the MR33 as a bridge and connect a switch to it for the PCs on that side or Can I set it up as a wireless range extender so the laptops can connect to it over Wifi and get access to the internet?

4 REPLIES 4
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The MR33 can not be a range extender. It can not act as a bridge to a non-Meraki AP.

You really don't want to mix vendors in this scenario either.

However if you are really keen, I would suggest you use power line extenders. Dlink have a good reputation in this area. This lets you extend your wired network over the power lines in your house. This would let you plug in the MR33 at a location near a power point.
Note that you will probably have to disable Air Marshall (or perhaps whitelist the other AP), as it will see the other non-Meraki AP and consider it to be an attack.
You really want a pair of Meraki APs.

I know this is an old post but I actually want to use my Netgear Nighthawk AX12000 in conjunction with a MR53 not as an extender.

I have ethernet throughout my home and have a POE switch.  I just want to know if its viable for using as an AP in addition to my existing router WIFI without having to fork over a ton on money for a Meraki switch.   I do have the free one from a Webinar so I am curious 

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

An MR53 should function with any active PoE switch, ideally use a PoE+ switch.  If you are intending on having one Meraki AP and one other vendor's AP active at the same time on the same SSID, then try to minimize overlap and as @PhilipDAth said, whitelist the other AP on the dashboard.

ErazoR
Just browsing

Thanks for responding.  I guess my next question is I have a MS-220 and a couple of MR55.  Do I really need buy the Meraki firewall or does the switch provide me with some internal security at all?

Or can I use my AX11000 ROUTER as the firewall?  Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels