cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netgear Nighthawk Router and MR33 as range extender?

Highlighted
Getting noticed

Netgear Nighthawk Router and MR33 as range extender?

I have a Netgear Nighthawk R8000 wireless router on the first floor of my house.  I don't get a strong signal on the top floor and opposite end of the house.  I am getting a free MR33 AP.  I'd like to use that MR33 on the top floor so that it provides stronger WiFi on that end of the house.  Can I set up the MR33 as a bridge and connect a switch to it for the PCs on that side or Can I set it up as a wireless range extender so the laptops can connect to it over Wifi and get access to the internet?

1 REPLY 1
Kind of a big deal

Re: Netgear Nighthawk Router and MR33 as range extender?

The MR33 can not be a range extender. It can not act as a bridge to a non-Meraki AP.

You really don't want to mix vendors in this scenario either.

However if you are really keen, I would suggest you use power line extenders. Dlink have a good reputation in this area. This lets you extend your wired network over the power lines in your house. This would let you plug in the MR33 at a location near a power point.
Note that you will probably have to disable Air Marshall (or perhaps whitelist the other AP), as it will see the other non-Meraki AP and consider it to be an attack.
You really want a pair of Meraki APs.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.