Need suggestion for outdoor WiFi in parking lot for tele-medicine

SOLVED
jrichter
Conversationalist

Need suggestion for outdoor WiFi in parking lot for tele-medicine

I have a clinic that is wanting to provide Guest WiFi to their parking lot for patients that do not have internet at home. The clinic wants to be able to do tele-medicine over this link. They anticipate a low amount of people that would use this, perhaps 3 or 4 people at a time. The closest parking spot from the suggested AP location is about 30 ft. The furthest is 110 ft. I am going to recommend putting signs at the nearest four parking spots that range from 30 ft away to 62 ft away indicating these are intended for tele-medicine. I am looking at an MR74 with dual-band omni antennas. Does this sound viable? What other recommendations or warnings do you all have?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Network-dad
A model citizen

We have deployed several MR74's with dual-band omni antennas and they work great.... I would be slightly worried about people trying to connect 110ft away in a parking lot full of cars....the MR74 should do fine as long as you have line of sight... if there is any trees in the parking lot that will decrease the rang of the AP. 

Dakota Snow | Network-dad Linkdedin
CMNO | A+ | ECMS2
Check out The Bearded I.T. Dad onThe Bearded I.T. DadThe Bearded I.T. Dad

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Network-dad
A model citizen

We have deployed several MR74's with dual-band omni antennas and they work great.... I would be slightly worried about people trying to connect 110ft away in a parking lot full of cars....the MR74 should do fine as long as you have line of sight... if there is any trees in the parking lot that will decrease the rang of the AP. 

CMNO | A+ | ECMS2

Make sure to set your antenna type in the dashboard ... the auto detect doesn't always work. Here is some info on the MA-ANT-20 dual-band omni antennas.

https://meraki.cisco.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/meraki_datasheet_antenna_omni_4_7dBi.pdf

2020-07-07 09_08_35-meraki_datasheet_antenna_omni_4_7dBi.pdf and 2 more pages - Work - Microsoft​ Ed.png

CMNO | A+ | ECMS2
MichelRueger
Building a reputation

Hi,

I also would Use the MR74 and why are you not Putting the one one with is close to the building on LAN and a second MR74 just on power at the end of the Parking slot as repeater so you are sure to cover them all. have a look at this:  https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/WiFi_Basics_and_Best_Practices/Wireless_Mesh_Networking 

I have done this several times and it works perfekt.

regards Michel

jrichter
Conversationalist

Thanks for the replies everyone. I look forward to implementing this solution. Right now I am going for one AP because of the low amount of use and high hardware cost.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels