Multiple radio profiles per AP?

sbcoms
Here to help

Multiple radio profiles per AP?

Hi I have been looking at the Meraki Dashboard and various document and can't seem to see if the following is possible?

How to apply two separate Radio profiles to one AP, e.g. a  Corporate SSID set for 5 Ghz only connectivity and a Guest SSID to allow both 2.4 and 5 Ghz clients. When selecting an AP in Dashboard and then applying a profile e.g. 5 Ghz Corporate , only one profile can be applied. 

5 Replies 5
BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

I don't think it's possible with the standard dashboard options. But I know helpdesk can enable some extra features with regards to this. So I would recommend to open a ticket for this.

NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

You can only assign one profile to the AP, however within the settings if you choose band selection as 'Per SSID' then the Access Control settings is where it will use the settings, for that specific feature.

So your corp SSID can still be 5GHz only and guest both bands. This also still allows you to choose the minimum bitrate on a per band setting.

So that achieves everything your trying to do in your original post, unless I misunderstood
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn

Ah yes, I misread. I thought the OP wanted to use the 2.4GHz for Guests and 2.4 and 5 for Corp. For that you'd need to get in touch with helpdesk.

Hi, thanks for coming back.

Would the best solution to control the AP transmission power levels be to:

Create one Radio profile, specifying per SSID and the transmission power

Create each SSID with the desired frequencies e.g. Corporate 5 Ghz only, Guest 2.4 and 5 Ghz

The apply the single Radio profile to the AP, so each SSID uses the desired bands but a single Radio profile manages the transmission levels?

Thanks

BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

Yes, the transmission power, channel assignment, channel width and RX-SOP are things that are configured per AP. That makes sense as multiple SSID's on the same AP use the same channel. So these settings are mainly dependent on where your AP's are located, not what SSIDs are present on them. So that's why they will always be configured in the radio profile.

The minimum bitrate can best be set per SSID. That way you could setup your guest network to allow lower bitrates (because guests often come in with older devices). For the corporate SSID you can keep the minimum required bitrate high to improve efficiency in airtime usage (with the trade-off that you need a "modern" fleet of clients to have them compatible with your network).

And finally band selection also per SSID as per your requirements.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels