Mesh through POE Injectors

Incognito87
Just browsing

Mesh through POE Injectors

I am trying to connect to our warehouse. It is a separate sheet metal building. I can connect to the outside via two MR74’s using mesh. However, I can't connect to an MR33 via mesh inside the building. They both are power by 802.3at Power over Ethernet Injectors. There is no switch inside the building.

The question is can I connect through the data ports on the injectors to transmit data from the outside MR74 to the MR33 inside. If so does it have to be a crossover cable?

We are trying to get the cordless Cisco VoIP phones to work in the warehouse.

Any help would be appreciated.

6 Replies 6
BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@Incognito87 I am not sure exactly how you have thigns laid out, are you able to draw a quick diagram for us to see? I wouldn't have thought using a POE injector would cause a problem.

warehouse.png

Remember I do not have any switches inside the warehouse.

Both of the AP’s are powered by POE injectors.

The warehouse is a metal building, and the mesh network does not reach inside to the MR33

@Incognito87 are you using VLANS or do you have a flat network? if you have a flat network I would throw in some cheap 5 port switches and use a true wireless bridge as suggested. 

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

No (mostly).

The supported method in this case is to put a layer 3 router between the outside AP and the inside AP so they are on different layer 3 segments. Refer to this document:

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/WiFi_Basics_and_Best_Practices/Extending_the_LAN_with_a_Wireless...

I originally say "No (mostly)".  In firmware 25.2 a special case was added - which in your case might work.  Never tried this myself.  Note that this case requires the two repeater MESH APs to still be able to see each other - but they use Ethernet to communicate amongst themselves instead to improve throughput.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/WiFi_Basics_and_Best_Practices/Extending_the_LAN_with_a_Wireless...

BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

I hate to say it, but you will be better off getting pair of bridge radios like Engenius or Ubiquiti, etc.  They can be had for  as low as $100USD a pair and will operate like a true bridge.  then you could move the MR74's inside for more coverage.

- Ex community all-star (⌐⊙_⊙)
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels