Mesh-Networking/Bridgeing trunk ports?

redsector
Head in the Cloud

Mesh-Networking/Bridgeing trunk ports?

Hello,

I need to connect a layer 2 network between two buildings with radio. The buildings are not in far distance, only about 30m. (And I can´t put a cable between).

Can I connect with mesh networking?

I need to connect a trunk link with a few VLANs between two MS switches and would like to use MR accesspoints for that.

In this documentation it´s explained, but I can´t see if this link is a trunk link with some VLANs in it:

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Deployment_Guides/Mesh_Deployment_Guide_(CVD)

Who has experience with that kind of network interconnect?

thank you

3 Replies 3
BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

You can choose only one VLAN to bridge, unfortunately.  So, you cannot use MR as a 'standard' bridge. 

Not sure why this is, but I have had to revert to other products for bridges like this.

- Ex community all-star (⌐⊙_⊙)
BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

Specifically from the link you shared:

Repeaters will also serve SSIDs trunked on different VLANs. However, only one SSID & associated VLAN may be configured to bridge wired clients across a mesh link on a repeater access point's Ethernet port. A mixture of wired clients and Cisco Meraki access points attached to one MR repeater interface is not a supported deployment configuration. This is due to the auto detection mechanisms that Cisco Meraki access points use to infer when they should function as a gateway or a repeater.

- Ex community all-star (⌐⊙_⊙)
MRCUR
Kind of a big deal

Unfortunately the MR line cannot trunk multiple VLAN's across a mesh bridge. I'd recommend looking at the Ubiquiti NanoStation line as a cheap alternative - https://www.ubnt.com/airmax/nanostation-ac/

MRCUR | CMNO #12
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels