Mesh Backhaul Throughput

pstewart
Getting noticed

Mesh Backhaul Throughput

Hi there ... 

I have two MR42E and they connect using Mesh due to lack of wiring between the locations.  At best I'm able to get about 45Mbps of throughput according to the portal.  My previous residential solution was able to obtain around 400Mbps (tested via iPerf) so I'm trying to figure out why the drastic difference given the access points are in the same locations as previous system (Netgear Orbi).  The one advantage I'm guessing with the Netgear was that it had a dedicated radio for backhaul but besides changing position is there any other suggestions that come to mind?  

Thanks,

Paul

2 REPLIES 2
Adam
Kind of a big deal

When relying on meshing I got the 5G directional antennas for my AP's and pointed them toward each other so they have a stronger mesh.  

Adam R MS | CISSP, CISM, VCP, MCITP, CCNP, ITILv3, CMNO
If this was helpful click the Kudo button below
If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution.
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The mesh throughput is not high.  It is more designed for many to many, rather than simple point to point.

You could try disabling the 2.4Ghz radios (if the range is not too great) and running purely on 5Ghz.

And as @Adam says, directional antennas with give you more signal, and more signal gives you more throughput (or at least, more stability).

I don't know the range or other requirements, but as an example, a narrow patch antenna will give a far more focused beam (which means you also have to have them lined up better as well).

https://meraki.cisco.com/products/wireless/antennas-power#MA-ANT-3-F5

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels