Meraki switches, access points and MX devices

Bala
New here

Meraki switches, access points and MX devices

Hello everyone,

New to Meraki, Could you please tel me how to upgrade the firmware of meraki switches, access points and MX devices. You can find the number of switches and access points below. Is there an effective way to save lot of time by upgrading them in batches or any other way to save time and resource.

Meraki Switches223
Meraki Access points713
Meraki MX Devices5

regards,

Bala

11 REPLIES 11
BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@Bala  You have to have organistion privledges to upgrade firmware, see the attached screenshot.

From there you can schedule firmware upgrades, you can stage them based on device type. 

https://documentation.meraki.com/zGeneral_Administration/Firmware_Upgrades/Managing_Firmware_Upgrade...

Screen Shot 2019-08-27 at 1.14.13 PM.png

This is one area Meraki does very well in. My experience with firmware upgrades are to schedule them, and forget about them. At first I used to babysit them, play around with staged upgrades, etc., but over time they always worked and I got less interested in watching them. 

I'd probably do each device type in its own time slot, but otherwise, just let 'er rip!

So do i need to manually enter each device and click on upgrade firmware, is there any other way where i can mass upgrade firmware. These are brand new devices. it will take many days for me to upgrade so many devices. 

@Bala  Basically how it works is you schedule an upgrade based on the device type i.e. MS, MR or MV. Lets say you decide to upgrade all of the firmware on your cameras, you select the MV category and then choose a date and time, you click done and all of your cameras will update at that time.

You don't select each particular camera which is how it saves you time. 

Thank you very much for quick reply Blake. I guess you understood my question wrong. I want to upgrade meraki switches firmware to the latest one. These switches (total 223 of them) will be shipped to me in couple of weeks. The only way i can think of is login to the switches one at a time and upgrade the switch firmware. is there any other way? sorry for sounding stupid
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

>Thank you very much for quick reply Blake. I guess you understood my question wrong. I want to upgrade meraki switches firmware to the latest one.

@BlakeRichardson understood you correctly.  It is as simple as he said.  You don't need to log into any switch, or touch the switches individually.

I'm sorry guys, was not trying to be rude. 

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hi Bala,

If you need to upgrade them all first but don't know exactly where they will all be deployed initially, create one network, add them all in and then when you go to the firmware upgrade page mentioned by @BlakeRichardson  you can just select this one network and they will all upgrade.

To add them to a network, first create a network from the top left option as below:

Capture.JPG

Then give it a name, make sure you choose combined and tick the box at the top of the inventory list to add all devices

Capture.JPGI

If you do know what goes where, then simply create one network for each location (or however else you might want to divide them up) and then you can upgrade each network.

Don't worry too much about getting it perfect first time, you can rename networks and move devices between them easily and unless you have an MX set up as a VPN concentrator for SDWAN, your users wouldn't even know.

Cheers,

Charles

jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

@Bala wrote:
 The only way i can think of is login to the switches one at a time and upgrade the switch firmware. is there any other way? sorry for sounding stupid

Not stupid at all. But WOOOOOOO you are in for bit of a shock when it finally starts to click how you manage Meraki devices 🙂

AjitKumar
Head in the Cloud

Hi @Bala 

@BlakeRichardsonsuggestion is 100% correct.

Since the solution is Centrally Cloud Managed and GUI based.

The Dashboard offers you  a nice feature of selecting  Devices/Network/Version/Time  to upgrade the firmware.

Regards,
Ajit
AjitsNW@gmail.com
www.ajit.network
Tung_Nguyen
Here to help

You can choose by individual network name or all networks.  There are few options for you to choose.    

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels