Meraki licensing

ALIANZA
Comes here often

Meraki licensing

Hi friends ,

I have the following problem with meraki licensing. On the meraki dashboard I have 57 APs registered, 44 were loaded on January 2, 2019 with 44 licenses licenses, and 13 were loaded on July 19, 2019 with 13 licenses.

On January 2, 2020, 44 new licenses were loaded to renew the licensing, however the dasboard continues with the alert that I must charge 13 additional licenses before February 2, otherwise the dasboard will shut down.

The question is, if the  Change of licensing model to Convert to per-device licensing, reso, would the 44 APs retain the license from January 2, 2020, and the remaining 13 ap will retain the license from July 19, 2019?

5 REPLIES 5
kYutobi
Kind of a big deal

I would talk to support and ask them if they can give you the order number for the 13 that were loaded because maybe the licenses did not apply. It happened to me with cameras that I didn't get an order number from. I wouldn't switch over to per device licensing for that reason only. Per device licensing will only separate AP's from switches, cameras, security, etc.

Enthusiast
BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

The problematic action was the one you did on January 2nd, 2020. When you renew, you reset the number of allowed devices to the number of licenses you're applying in the renew action (in your case 44).

So that means effectively that you're now allowed to have 44 APs in your network and 13 are unlicensed. The remaining time on the original 57 licenses+the 44 new licenses was spread out over the 44 allowed devices.

What you should've done is buy 57 licenses and apply those with renew. You can't partially renew in the auto co-termination system.

I think switching to per-device licensing now will just generate 44 licenses valid for x time and still leave 13 devices unlicensed.

In the per-device licensing system you can partially renew. So if you had converted to per-device licensing first and applied the licenses after that, it would've worked.

I'd get into contact with your Meraki distributor/partner/rep/licensing@meraki.com to see what can be done to solve it.

My distributor is Bgh tech partner, Bogota, Colombia.

In other words, I lost the licensing applied in July 2019.

The only solution is to acquire licensing for the 13 APs?

Should I switch to Convert to per-device licensing, would it take a new grace period of 30 days for the 13 APs?

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

>The only solution is to acquire licensing for the 13 APs?

And you'll need to make sure you buy "new" licences, not a renewal.

You didn't lose anything. The value of the remaining time was just spread out over the 44 access points.

Indeed, buy 13 licenses and apply them as "License more devices". You can actually take short licenses. The co-termination system will automatically take time out of the 44 existing ones again.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels