Meraki MR53 and MR53E maximum supported clients

Samuele94
Comes here often

Meraki MR53 and MR53E maximum supported clients

Hi guys,

I need to know maximum theoretical/technical supported clients for the Meraki MR53 and MR53E.

Are there official Meraki documents where I can find this information?

Thanks,

Samuele

8 Replies 8
AjitKumar
Head in the Cloud

Hi Samuele

I could search the following KB for you. (seems to be not updated however)

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/WiFi_Basics_and_Best_Practices/Approximating_Maximum_Clients_per...

A piece of excerpt is copied below for quick reference.

Note: Each access point has a technical limitation of 128 clients maximum per radio. Please note that this is only a theoretical maximum; in practice, interference caused by multiple clients communicating simultaneously will cause this limit to be far lower.

Regards,
Ajit
AjitsNW@gmail.com
www.ajit.network

Hi AjitKumar,

Thank you, but I also think that the KB is not updated.
(Now Cisco Legacy APs support until 400 clients).
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@Samuele94 whenever I see someone ask this I cringe.  It is the wrong way to build a WiFi network.  While you might be able to put 100 clients onto a single access point it will result in crappy performance, as the bandwidth will be divided between too many users.

IMHO, if you want great performance with lots of bandwidth, aim for 10 to 15 users.  If you want a good experience then maybe 20 users.  If your bandwidth expectations are low (such as basic web browsing, email) then 30 to 50 users.

Over 50 users - well make sure you have very low expectations of performance.

And this has nothing to do with the AP.  It's do do with the RF spectrum.  You can only carve up a single channel so many ways and leave enough for each individual user to make it work nicely.

Hi PhilipDAth,

I don't want to base my desing on maximum supported clients parameter, but I only have to provide this information to a customer (for information purposes).

Thanks,
Samuele

Hi PhilipDAth,

How about MR56? How many client it should carry if we want a great performance, say every client is watching 4K TV. Thanks 

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Everyone streaming 4k video at the same time is an extremely heavy traffic demand - and would not be typical in 99.9% of WiFi networks.

If I assumed all WiFi clients were WiFi5 or better and there was plenty of spectrum available, maybe 10 users per AP.

If the environment was not really good then maybe 7 users per AP.

Thank you for your reply

I have over 70 devices on my old MR33 at home and my wifi works flawlessly.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels